Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351W

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
they tend to run really rich.

Not so...a Holley is more true than most other carbs out there because they are wet flow tested from the factory as opposed to dry flow. So what you call running rich, is really more accurate to your advertised cfm rating.

Get whatever block has been bored out the least. ?

Great point I always forget about that

Why.. so you can get really bad milage too?

Not to mention a C4 is what...15% less parisitic on rwhp than a C6.

Yeah, I was really thinking about the two engines today...and I think I might go with the '86 351W. Only because I will be able to use the stock heads. Because if I get the '69, It wont be able to run on unleaded fuel, and I dont really want to get too far into the heads.

I'm kinda leaning towards having the AOD built, but I'm not sure...may just be cheaper to go with a C6.

A valve job and no more head issues. As for the AOD...I think most know how I feel about that tranny...but if you're not building a monster SB, you'll be good.

I'm kinda leaning towards having the AOD built, but I'm not sure...may just be cheaper to go with a C6.

The AOD with a shift kit will handle a 351 with stock heads no problem, mine survived 10 years behind a 5.8 with no signs of wear and it's till going. The AOD has some well known weaknesses but upgrades for these issues are available and not terribly expensive so there is no reason to give up overdrive if you don't have to. My trans has none of these upgrades besides the shift kit so hopefully that puts it into perspective. If you had a heavier 4x4 truck with big tires and were plannig to build a 351 stroker then the trans would need a major overhaul with all the upgrades to handle it, but that's not the case so you really got nothing to worry about.

It's essentially the same as a stock Ford 4bbl intake.

Fellro

Staff member
On the zinc subject, Valvoline's VR1 racing oil is high in zinc as well, if you want to use it for break in oil.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts