Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351 Vs 352 questions

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Thanks Bill once again great info :D

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Yeah I really want to upgrade to a AOD let me look around and see what I can dig up..
The AOD was a troublesome TURD of a transmission, prolly the WORST A/T Ford ever made...even worse than a A4LD, and that's saying something.

You CANNOT use the overdrive feature in heavy stop and go traffic (city or Interstate, it makes no difference), because the trans is constantly shifting up/down, in and out of overdrive.

It only takes a few days for the trans to burn up under these conditions...and millions of them did just that!

Most used AOD's will need to be overhauled, figure about 2 to 3 grand to do the job right.

IMO, the only place I'd put an AOD is in the scrap pile.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well there is allot of people buying custom made AODs that are rated up to 600hp using them for dragging crawling and street rods.
I've looked around and found some places that sell custom AODs and that's what I'm going to go with if I can ever decide on what engine to go with.

The 352 FE engine is a very heavy and under powered gas hog of an engine, it would be better to get a 410cid engine from a mid '60s Mercury if you can find one or a 428 from a T-Bird. Then you would have some BRAG and a motor thar would be able to get your truck moving quickly or to pull a heavy load. A 352 costs just as much to build as a 410 or 428 but you end up with a whole lot less.
Transmissions, until 1966 Ford used the C-4 and Ford-O-Matic trans behind the FE's, these required a different starter unit than the modern type that came with the C-6. I'm not certain but I believe the transmissions used with the 429/460s will either bolt up or require a pretty simple adaptor plare and that would give you access to use the AODE, 4R70 and 4R100 transmissions.
Back to that 352 engine, It would make a good planter for your yard or a base for a mail box ar even a BIG HEAVY boat anchor.:)
But anyway it's your truck and your money, do it your way.

Fellro

Staff member
I'm not certain but I believe the transmissions used with the 429/460s will either bolt up or require a pretty simple adaptor plare and that would give you access to use the AODE, 4R70 and 4R100 transmissions.

With an adapter plate form someone like Advanced Adapters, you could hook up to another bell style. FE's used a rounded bell, while the 429 and 460 used a larger version of a 302/351W/300 bell.

Ford Truck Articles