Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302 Cam

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
I have a sound clip/video of the truck parked in the driveway with the 5.8 engine starting and reving briefly, I took this just after I installed the big exhaust last year.. but damned if I can find it. The 5.0 sounds almost exactly the same in my opinion.. and it should since the exhaust hasn't changed.

This 5.0 can be considered a box stock 5.0 roller motor except for the cam, the bottom end is 40 thou overbore and it wasn't a roller motor to start with, I salvaged the lifters and spider assembly from the scrapyard and swapped it into this block.

I haven't done an official 0-60 time yet but I know it's not as fast as the 5.8, it just doesn't have the TQ. Yes 50 cubic inches makes a really big difference in grunt.. believe me. That said the cam seems to work good and it doesn't bog or seem needlessly weak at any rpm from idle up, it just doesn't pull like a 5.8, more gearing would certainly help a lot!

P.S. Sound clip here.. http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/46950aa...ruckTunes.wmv?

Video:
linky no worky !! tells me that i dont have permission..
thats the vid of the 5.0 right?

Engine:
can i put a stroker crankshaft like this one http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SES-5-51-05-000&autoview=sku crank to make it 331 ?? or dunno what numbers it will be.. but something like that.. just make it a stroker crank in a 5.0 no with oversize pistons ?

Trans:
ohh ok ok ... im going with 4.10's or higher.. but you tellme wich is better a 5speed manual the mazda5speed in the 1993 truck? or a c6 ?

oh course the 5.0 wont pull like the 5.8 :D lol..
in the future im gonna build my 5.8 with the edelbrock top end kit.. heads intake/cam with a holley 670 :D..

Last edited:
Yeah.. the sound clip doesn't work for me now either, I'll have to find the original copy and/or take a new one.

The stroker crank requires different pistons and connecting rods, so you need a stroker assembly.

I like manual trannys better because it offers better control of the power than an auto, my truck came with an auto and I'm not about to change it, too many other things to do. Both the cars we have and the little Ranger have sticks. The mazda tranny gets trashed as weak but it's fine behind the I6 or 5.0, you won't break it unless you're doing lots of burnouts by dumping the clutch. The C6 is a pretty good tranny but don't kid yourself it's only as strong as the vehicle it came from, if that was a 5.0 truck or older V6 car then it will need an overhaul to handle a built V8. Plus there's no overdrive so if you do any highway milage the truck will absolutely suck down fuel like it's running out tomorrow.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Yeah.. the sound clip doesn't work for me now either, I'll have to find the original copy and/or take a new one.

The stroker crank requires different pistons and connecting rods, so you need a stroker assembly.

I like manual trannys better because it offers better control of the power than an auto, my truck came with an auto and I'm not about to change it, too many other things to do. Both the cars we have and the little Ranger have sticks. The mazda tranny gets trashed as weak but it's fine behind the I6 or 5.0, you won't break it unless you're doing lots of burnouts by dumping the clutch. The C6 is a pretty good tranny but don't kid yourself it's only as strong as the vehicle it came from, if that was a 5.0 truck or older V6 car then it will need an overhaul to handle a built V8. Plus there's no overdrive so if you do any highway milage the truck will absolutely suck down fuel like it's running out tomorrow.

ohh ok i tought it was easier.. y saw a stroker kit for 800$ tough.. but nah.

ohh ok ok .. i dont have highways here so its no prob..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i have no idea how to calculate shipping.. all i can help you with that where i am

Aruba
City : Oranjestad
Zip :297

im asking 400 for you ill leave it 350$ with valve and springs and everything exept valve covers

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Paul, how would a stock explorer GT40 cam fare in my engine?I ran it on the desktop dyno but not sure I plugged everything in correctly.Any thoughts?

Paul, how would a stock explorer GT40 cam fare in my engine?I ran it on the desktop dyno but not sure I plugged everything in correctly.Any thoughts?
The Explorer motors and F150 motors used the same cam after '94, so it won't make any difference.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
paul.. iv read that stock springs dont give you the full benefit of your new cam.. change those springs ASAP

I had the truck out for a few rips last night playing with some new tuner software I have, I bought Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer, these packages are a bit more comprehensive than the Tweecer software and provide access to all parameters in the computer. I also discovered that the rear fuel pump in my truck is kinda weak and could barely manage 35psi at idle, so I filled the front tank and re-adjusted pressure to the stock specs. That made a significant difference to the way the motor ran... lots more power. The BE software has a few nifty functions, it calculates HP and TQ based on injector pulsewidth, MAF volume and engine speed, and also does average and realtime fuel milage calculations. I still have an issue with my tranny shifting early and hopefull I can correct this with a regulator in the valve body, but on 1 run the motor peaked at 348 ft/lb TQ and 256hp... at about 4200rpm. That's not bad considering this motor should pull all the way to 5500rpm. I still have a couple other issues to iron out, it seems the motor is running pretty rich and the idle quality is pretty bad. These 2 things may be related and are something I have to figure out because it won't pass emissions the way it is. The motor is a bit more impressive than I expected though.. and that's a nice surprise.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
good to hear that buddy.. i cant wait to build mine.. they told me that the LSA of that cam the Comp XE264 is to high for a carbed motor will it mather that much??

those are impresive numbers!!..

but change those springs ive read your not getting the full potential of the engine over 4000 rpms..

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Paul, what is it that you do for a living man?Glad to hear you got her going and I wish i could give some thoughts on the issues you're having but you are much more knowledgeable than I am.Good Luck.

good to hear that buddy.. i cant wait to build mine.. they told me that the LSA of that cam the Comp XE264 is to high for a carbed motor will it mather that much??..
The relatively wide LSA is a compromise to make it compatable with SD EFI systems, it actually hurts peak power on an EFI motor as well. A carbed motor will run just fine with this cam but you're giving up power for no reason.

but change those springs ive read your not getting the full potential of the engine over 4000 rpms..
Enough already.. this motor is never comming apart again!

Paul, what is it that you do for a living man?
I'm a lab support manager/technical prime at a telecom company.. one of the places that makes the equipment that we are all conversing back and forth on right now. You might say I'm a geek... but you probably wouldn't if you met me in person.. I don't look up at very many people if you catch my drift. I played basketball in highschool and college, but hockey was my first love and I was the team goon, I put my size advantage to good use.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
The relatively wide LSA is a compromise to make it compatable with SD EFI systems, it actually hurts peak power on an EFI motor as well. A carbed motor will run just fine with this cam but you're giving up power for no reason.

Enough already.. this motor is never comming apart again!

ok.. im going with this cam anyway ;) i was considering the Ecam but i dont even like the dyno it shows up on desktopdyno NO TORQUE!

haha ok ..

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
The alphabet cams are junk in trucks anyays...because of no torque..they were built to push a 3k pound car...not a 5 k pound truck.

Paul, I'd believe it...My GF's buddy is a computer builder/installer and a huge computer geek...but he played for the University of Miami Canes back in the 80's as a linebacker....6 foot 6 and alot of muscle.

ok.. im going with this cam anyway ;)
I think you can do a bit better, run the Comp 35-410-8, Crane 444211, Lunati 55123, and Lunati 51023 in desktop dyno. Cams with somewhere between 260-270 deg intake duration and about 110 deg LSA should produce the broadest powerband.

i liked the Lunati 51023 the most!!!!!

that lift will work fine with stock GT40's right??
Yeah that cam has nice specs all around, how does it compare to the 35-349-8? It will work fine with the stock valvetrain, idle quality is impossible to say, but a carb motor won't idle as smoothly as an EFI motor so I think you'll be happy.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts