Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

200k Club =]

So im now a member of the 200k mile club! Just hit it yesterday!

n1239750106_30118401_8476.jpg

And i must say, im quite happy, my truck didnt burn any of the 5w30 i used and its been 2,000 miles since i put it in.. would have burnt some of the 10w40 by now... surprised it didnt burn the thinner oil!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Congratulations...quite the milestone. That is odd it didn't burn the 5w30...synthetic vs dino? Anyway...is an engine and tranny rebuild coming anytime? I figure if you treat her nice you could squeeze another 100k outta her. I know with any of my 87-96 Fords...200k seemed to be the magic number where I started noticing problems and had no more than 50k until a rebuild was essential. I also have to ask, have you only run stock sized tires? If you haven't, and you've run bigger tires and not had your speedo recalibrated, you already passed the milestone without knowing...haha. If you've run smaller tires, you still got some miles to go.

yup always stock sized.. had slightly smaller ones before but spedo has been calibrated to compensate for all tire changes =].. havent had issues yet.. im in search of a 351 to swap into it.. debating what i want to do.. but i RARELY beat on her.. once in a while ill punch it on the highway.. raced my buddy who was driving a bronco from a 30 roll.. lost by a car length lol (he had the 351)..

but along the lines of oil.. 5w30 isnt synthetic.. the 5w20 is the synthetic blend.. and also from what i told, 10w40 breaks down after 1000 miles.. also told ford recomends 5w30 for all there older engines..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Mine has 248,xxx miles on it and still runs really strong. So you guys suggest 5w30 for regular use?

I typically use 10w30 synthentic until I break the 150k mark, then I use 10w40 dino. If it's a newly rebuilt engine and breaking it in...I'll use Rotella 15w40.

Mine has 248,xxx miles on it and still runs really strong. So you guys suggest 5w30 for regular use?

depends on the condition of your gaskets etc.. try it once and keep an eye on your oil level or even if theres blue smoke.. i dont have smoke at all.. everything depends on how strong your engine is.. from ehat the guys in the shop tell me, the 5.0 is pretty much the best engine ford has ever built.. they cant remember any big problems.. as they say "they last forever"

and i hope your doing a complete flush when you switch between synthetic and dino... you can do some damage if you dont.. dino and synthetic DO NOT mix lol.. and especially do a flush when you use the 15w40 because it has magnesium ( i think thats the metal in it) in it...

also, 10w40 is a man made mix so im told.. nothing EVER called for it (again so im told) most things called for 10w30..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yes I do flush when I go from syn to dino...I believe the owner's manual for Thunder said to use 10w30...but it's a 460, not a 302. Only had 302's in Broncos...and still used 10w30 or 10w40. As for 10/15w40...my grandfather was a FOMOCO master mechanic for 30 years...and all he always told us his dealership put 10w40 in anything with more than 100k, unless the owner specified otherwise, and told us to do the same. So I figured if 10w40 was gooed enough for him...it's good enough for me and my rigs.

yeh, its been used in my truck up until my most recent oil change.. but any car that comes in our show where the oil cap isnt labeled with an oil, we put 5w30 because it is non synth

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Congratulations!!!

The last "milestone" I photographed on my little Ranger was 150K:

261969230_hix7E-X2.jpg

I'm sitting at 163K now......

what im wondering is what does it say once it hits 300k.. that first digit only reads up to 2... hmmmm... any one seen it yet?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
what im wondering is what does it say once it hits 300k.. that first digit only reads up to 2... hmmmm... any one seen it yet?

If that's true...you got a new truck...haha. That's how you get soooooo many dentsides that have ORIGINAL miles of 20k...when in reality it is 120k but more than likely 220k. I'm guessing in the next 5 years, you'll be seeing tooooons of ebay sellers with 92-96 'true survivors' with less than 50k original miles.

Michigan
Congrats! Im catchin up fast tho lol!

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC

No, it should go to 999,999......

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
My machine shop told me that the 15w40 Rotella has zinc in it and thats what ya need to break in a cam I run that when I break in a motor along with a quart of the zinc addative just in case they changed whats in it. BTW any oil that has a W in it is a man made mix the W only stands for a winterizing agent they put in it at the refineries.

My trusty steed is showing a pretty big number right now.. course that's in kilometers but it still works out to 239000 miles.

Attachments

• Odo.jpg
Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well as long as we're all sharing mileage on our rigs...Thunder is sitting at 221,###...Red is sitting at 142,###...the Bronco is sitting at 128,###. The highest mileage vehicle I ever owned was a 1994 Tbird with 323,###...I definitely bought that car at the wrong time, but it was a $250 car, what more could I ask for.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts