Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2 converters in 2 weeks

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
had a edge mild street in the truck wich is basicly a modded stock converter.. drove it for a while give it a good run shifted 2nd a few times at WOT after the 3rd time one it stripped the converter input slines

i borrowed a stock converter and tuned the engine rejeted the carb / timing/ valve settings/ etc turned into a real beast!
after i give it a good run at WOT shifted 2nd truck went sideways held it let off WOT again shifted at 7200 rpm and shifted into 3rd and i knda feel it shift but then it goes into neutral same symptoms with the mild street converter! ..stock converters arent holding up ??

tomorrow im gonna get the transout again but im almost 100% sure it stripped the splines again

i just wanna say it drives great normaly just when i give it hell it breaks them..

i wanna ask before i invest into an expensive converter with hardened shaft and have it break again

here you can see what it did to the edge converter

IMGP0158-2_zps280565fc.jpg

IMGP0159_zpsc3e739e4.jpg

not saying these are a bad converter it worked great with a cammed 306 for 4 years .. this 331 is breaking stuff up now

is something wrong here? or just is raw power doing this?

331 modded ( 400 hp estimated or more?? it scares me )
Dynamic mighty mite c4 (holds 800-1000hp)
1990 F150

Last edited:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
hmmm, thought stock was good still for up to 400 horsepower, may be wrong.

i tought soo too.. ?? and the edge one was rated at 450 HP but maybe crank hp??

this engine puts 400 RWHP + weight of my truck takes it toll also

I would be checking the shaft splines to make sure that you are getting full contact.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
What size tires are you trying to smoke?

A big huge tire will allways break the weakest point.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Buy a good converter a true 2500 stall conv. With hardened shaft ya won't have an issue..

I was wondering how long it would take with that 331 to break something

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Buy a good converter a true 2500 stall conv. With hardened shaft ya won't have an issue..

I was wondering how long it would take with that 331 to break something

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

Oh?

My blazer eats them for breakfast

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

primetime

sawmill slave
give it a good run at WOT shifted 2nd truck went sideways held it let off WOT again shifted at 7200 rpm

i just wanna say it drives great normaly just when i give it hell it breaks them..

Driving it like you stole it (not holding that against you at all, I would), and a bunch of hp with big tires, NOOOOO, you won`t break a thing. Call the guys who built the converter, and the trans, and see what they tell you.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
well it wasnt the converter

is the forward drum junk now?

What I see is what I expected. The forward drum will need to be replaced if you want to do it right. I'm going to guess that a new replacement won't fit in there. Looks like you might be making more power than you expected.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
What I see is what I expected. The forward drum will need to be replaced if you want to do it right. I'm going to guess that a new replacement won't fit in there. Looks like you might be making more power than you expected.

yes sire u are right.. i just got a qoute from dynamics the guys that made this trans and its

Solid-Strength Drum is $200 and the best shaft with it would be $165

gonna get those and a racing converter and pray it holds

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts