Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Additives (You Tube Video)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Below is a link for a Ford You-Tube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPWc3wgTyc

The video promotes the Ford diesel fuel additive... but regardless of the brand, the benefits of using an additive is proven.

Personally, I use Powerservice and "double-dose" at every fill-up. Maybe this is why I have never had an EGR , injector or fuel related problem since new... and now ith 139,600 miles on my truck!!!!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Or maybe he dose ;)
Do you know what Cetane rating a cummings needs?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Beach I think that you need to get promotional fees from power service. i think that they owe you that.

You would think... or I would hope....

Personally, I do not care what brand of fuel additive people use... just use one.

I tend to like the name brand stuff except for Howes. The only reason I shy away from Howes is that the "color" of their product varies and this causes me to think that the manufacture (Howes has it made for them) does not have good quality control???

As well, I have been told that the light-weight plastic bottle that Howes uses proves they have little to no cetane as it would eat through the bottle... this is why all other brands use harder plastic bottles. Feel the plastic of Howes and feel all the other brands. No manufacture or brand would use a thicker bottle than necessary due to the costs!!!

I use and recommend Powerservice due to price and availability. I am sure Stanadyne is a good product, but due to the higher price and limited availability, I choose not to use it.

I tend to stick with one kind of oil in my crankcase, one brand of fuel and oil filters and one brand of diesel fuel additive.

By double-dosing my Powerservice at every fill-up, I believe the EGR valve stays cleaner and my fuel delivery system stays lubricated, regardless of where I fill up.

I filled up last night at my local truck stop and was told that due to the extreme cold temps, their supplier was mixing 20% 1D with the 2D fuel, plus an additive to get to an acceptable winter-blend (so it doesn't gel up). As we all know, 1D does not lubricate as well and has less thermal energy... so I still added my Powerservice if nothing else... for the lubricity benefits!!!!

With 139,700 miles on my 2003 Excursion, I am either very lucky of something is working for me.... just my .02 worth.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Or maybe he dose ;)
Do you know what Cetane rating a cummings needs?

I think all the diesel motors basically need the same cetane rating to work and function properly.

The more cetane, the more power.

What is confusing is that Ford states that a cetane of 40 is recommended, but since the pumps are not labled, no one really knows.

As well, Ford uses fuel with a cetane of 45 - 50 in their labs and test tracks and this is where the performance numbers (HP and torque) come from as well as overall motor performance.... but in the "real world" we all end up buying diesel fuel with a much lower cetane level and wonder why our truck does not operate like the manufacture stated it would.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
If it was me, Beach, I'd send in a sample of fuel every time you send off a sample of oil to Blackstone.

As long as you pay for it I will....

As a wise man once told me...

1) Always wear protection when with a women.

2) Never eat yellow snow.

3) Always pee down wind.

4) Always buy diesel fuel from high volume dealers/retailers (it's all the same fuel anyways, so get the fresh stuff).

Diesel fuel is diesel fuel, with no cetane stickers on the pumps and refineries distributing to various brands of gas stations... it's all the same fuel coming out of different pumps!!! The question becomes, how fresh is the fuel as smaller stations could have more water moisture in their fuel due to sitting in their tanks longer... as well as more sediment and "stuff". As well, high volume stations will treat their fuel with anti-gel addtives or add in #1d fuel as needed. Smaller stations are just stuck with what they have until their next fill-up by the refinery.

Plus... I like going to the truck stops and parking my Excursion "rig" next to the "Big Rigs" while at the diesel pumps!!!!

10-4 Good Buddy

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Here is why I will not use Howes diesel fuel additives....

1) They promote that their product prevents gelling (which I agree it does)... but that is all.

2) They claim it adds power or better mileage, but the slick marketing is that they do NOT state they have cetane improves in the product rather that their product negates the need for using #1D fuel to prevent gelling which we all know using #1D fuel has lower engery content... so their claim is more power by not having to use #1D fuel.

Their marketing claims is just as shaddy as Amsoil's is on their oil products.

Their product does NOT contain cetane improves which is why it costs less. We all know that low cetane levels is what is hurting the performance of our trucks... so Powerservice is a better product than Howes as Powerservice contains cetane improves!!!

Here is the Howes link:

http://www.howeslube.com/products/index.php/category/10

Look at the bottom of the page and read carefully.... especially the part in red!!! Not sure how an additive prolongs filter life? It either filters the fuel or it doesn't!! No where do they mention anything about adding lubricity agents... they just state that it protects at the top of the page, but not even as a "bullet point"... so it must not be a real benefit???
  • The best cold weather protection available — Howes can lower the Cold Filter Plugging Point by up to 20°F or more.
  • Increases fuel economy — reduced requirement for blended fuel, which has lower BTU content.
  • Prolongs fuel filter life. Howes reduces contaminants and safely controls water.
  • Non-solvent, non-alcohol formula is safe to use in all weather conditions.
  • Low cost per treated gallon — one gallon of Winter Treat Plus treats 3000 gallons of fuel.
Again, due to cost and availability and the fact that Powerservice contains cetane improvers and a lubricity agent... it's my choice hands down!!!

Hope this helps educate those that may be using Howes and not seeing the benefits some of us who use Powerservice are seeing!!!

I always thought it was....

1) You don't tug on Superman's cape

2) You don't spit into the wind

3) You don't pull the mask off the 'ol Lone Ranger

4) and if you don't mess around with Beach's proven formula for 6.0 maitenance, you'll always win...

(piss poor poetic license, but poetic non the less)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I always thought it was....

1) You don't tug on Superman's cape

2) You don't spit into the wind

3) You don't pull the mask off the 'ol Lone Ranger

4) and if you don't mess around with Beach's proven formula for 6.0 maitenance, you'll always win...

(piss poor poetic license, but poetic non the less)

Thank you for the kind words.

Now I have advice from a "wise man" and from "Brad"... my day is complete. I have now learned something new today and will be able to pass along some advice to others.. so others may benefit.

By the way... I tend to be very "hard-lined" on certain issues and always challange myself (and others) to prove their positions and facts when posting and making statements.

1) I believe I have documented why Powerservice is better than Howes.

2) In other threads it has been proven that Amsoil oils are not all API certified (at least their diesel oil).

3) Amsoils claim of "universal" ATF fluid does not work in the Torque-shift tranny due to the specs of the Mercon SP fluid.

4) I will compare and share my Rotella-Syn 5W-40 oil reports with anyone elses reports to show that dollar for dollar... Rotella is as good as anything out there (with the new exception of this Shaeffer's Oil I am hearing about... but it may not be API certifed... so I will not support it unless confirmed).

5) I will document why using only Racor/Motorcraft oil and fuel filters is mandatory for good performance.

6) I use a dieselsite.com coolant filter and with the pictures showing what it removes... it clearly shows why everyone needs one!!!!

and the list goes on.....

I do not mean to preach, but I try to substantiate my comments and why I use the products I use.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Beach somethig is deffinatly working for you. all of the mile you have with no problems. this is a true case of maintaince pays in the long run.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Thanks Beach great info there :D
My big brother has a 04 cummings could he use this stuff in his truck?

Am I reading your question correctly?????

Your asking if it is all right for your brother to use an "over the counter" readily available diesel fuel additive (Powerservice) in his truck???

What do you think... think real hard.......

It's not like Powerservice makes this stuff just for Powerstrokes and some other "stuff" for your brother's Cummings!!!

YES... HE CAN USE IT!!!!!

'drama' 'drama' 'drama'

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Am I reading your question correctly?????

Your asking if it is all right for your brother to use an "over the counter" readily available diesel fuel additive (Powerservice) in his truck???

What do you think... think real hard.......

It's not like Powerservice makes this stuff just for Powerstrokes and some other "stuff" for your brother's Cummings!!!

YES... HE CAN USE IT!!!!!

'drama' 'drama' 'drama'

I thought it was formulated for powerstroke engines.
Sorry I asked.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Here is a link about diesel fuel and what to lok for. I have never heard of this product and to not endorse it, but the information on the link below is very good "basic" info.

http://www.k100fueltreatment.com/DieselDosing.html

As you all know, I use Powerservice products which is a "demulsifier" additive versus other brands (not sure which ones unless you read their lables or call the companies)... but you WANT to seperate the water fro the fuel versus having the additive collect to it and allowing it to be burned. The big problem is this leads to injector wear and water will not compress when shot through the injector leading to injector damage!!!

QUOTE FROM THE ABOVE LINK:
Additives control water year-round. Emulsifiers suspend tiny droplets that pass through the fuel system. De-emulsifiers alter diesel so it won't hold water, so water drops to the bottom of the tank. Water should be removed regularly. Controlling water also helps control organic growth.

Why am I so passionate about this topic.....

A lot of diesel owners try and do the right thing by using additives, but don't realize the differences in them and end up causing damage to their motors... when they thought they were using a quality product.

Again, I do not care what brand people use... just do your research, read the bottles and call the companies... or read this thread.

Howes = Bad (prevents gelling, but nothing more)

Powerservice = Good (Less expensive and readily available)

Stanadyne = Good (More expensive and not as readily available)
-------------------------------------

Here is a weblink for an article on "gelling" and some of the issues of bio-diesel, water/moisture and the like.

http://www.lubrizol.com/press-room/media-coverage/pdflibrary/Weyenberg-RoadStar-707.pdf

Click on link and save the PDF file that opens up. Good basic info.

Have a nice day,

Jeff

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Introduction

There are plenty of additives on the market today that are designed to improve the performance and efficiency of diesel fuel. Diesel fuel is popular among those who care about the environment, because it produces fewer emissions than traditional fossil fuel. It can also be produced from a wide variety of renewable resources, such as vegetable oil and soybeans. Because diesel can be made from so many different things, its quality varies accordingly. However, if you use the right additives, you can achieve peak performance from your fuel every time.
Instructions

Step One
Use an additive to keep algae from growing on the engine of your boat. Boat engines are susceptible to algae, water accumulation and several different kinds of marine bacteria. Mixing the proper additive into your boat diesel will prevent these things from taking hold of the engine.

Step Two
Use an additive that will help prevent the formation of sludge and corrosion on your engine. This kind of additive is appropriate for any kind of diesel engine. When your engine is free of sludge and corrosion, it will perform better.

Step Three
Keep an additive around that will prevent the formation of wax crystals in cold weather. All diesel fuel is susceptible to waxing, and those pesky crystals can clog up your engine. Once the temperatures starts dropping to 40 or 30 degrees F, you must begin mixing this additive into your fuel.

Step Four
Get an additive with a detergent for cleaning your fuel injectors. It's easy for fuel injectors to become clogged with sludge and crystals. However, when you put a detergent-based additive into your fuel, the injectors will stay clean and you'll get better fuel efficiency.

Step Five
Select a lubricant additive. Lubricants in your fuel will constantly bathe your engine, keeping all of its working parts moving smoothly. This will prevent cracking, breaking and erosion of parts and will consequently help your engine to last longer.

texas_diesel

Lubbock Bum
I'll give the X2 to Powerservice. Grey in summer, white in the winter for the anti-gelling. I can actually notice a difference in the pull over straight pump-diesel vs. treated fuel, probably the additive getting the crappy winter-blends cetane rating up.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Question....

Last week while it was really cold here in Kansas City, my local truck stop is selling winterized diesel fuel which is a mixture of #1D and 2D. Based upon the ambient temps, their supplier was either mixing 10% 1D or 20% with regular #2D fuel.

My question is... since #1D is basically kerosene, and we all know Kerosene is a solvent.... does living in a cold weather climate area of the country where they mix #1D/Kerosene with their fuel make for a cleaner fuel system, injectors and EGR???

We all know that #1D has less thermal energy and we all see a slight decrease in performance, but when mixing 10 - 20% in with regular diesel will it also act as a solvent and keep the fuel system clean or cleaner???

I add Powerservice as I have stated in various posts above to ensure lubrication benefits as #1D/Kerosene is a horrible lubricator... but is my motor benefiting from running a couple of tanks of this stuff to keep the EGR valve clean or cleaner???

What do our resident Diesel Techs have to say or think???
YelloThumbUp smilieneenar :beer: YelloThumbUp smilieneenar :beer: YelloThumbUp smilieneenar :beer:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Where is Black Strap-on with an official answer???

Oh... I mean Black Snap-On :rofl: YelloThumbUp smilieneenar

Where are you Ford Tech guys... you all on vacation this week????

I've been sitting at my computer for days with no sleep waiting... and waiting... and waiting..............

:kissass: :kissass: :kissass: :kissass:

Ya know just a bit of anecdotal evidence here. Ever since I have started using a cetane improver I have noticed very little if any soot/carbon on the paint above my tailpipe. There was always a dirty spot there that required extra cleaning. Not so much any more it definitely stays cleaner.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts