Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Additives (You Tube Video)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Two things help with less smoke and soot....

1) The mandated use of ULSD fuel with less sulfur.

2) The use of cetane improver fuel additives.

Combined... less soot, less carbon, less smoke!!!

Fellro

Staff member
Well, I'm going to throw this out there... I typically do use PS white, haven't had much for fuel issues normally. However, when I went to put some in the tractor for gel protection, the PS itself was gelled... I had a trucker friend tell me how great Ho9we's was (his opinion) so i thought I would pick some up and see how it did. I left it out over night on top of my car when we hit -26, it stayed liquid, while the PS was jelly... SO if nothing more, wouldn't it be a better anti gel? At this time, I really don't give a dang about cetane, I need the fuel to flow! My dad gelled his tractor (of course, he adds the PS AFTER it died... had it in the house) My sister had her tractor gel, and she had treated it, I have managed to avoid gelling except the one time I didn't have the fuel treated at all. I did have some old PS in the shop, it was NOT gelled, while the newer stuff I had in the truck did, what gives? No, the shop is not heated either.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Well, I'm going to throw this out there... I typically do use PS white, haven't had much for fuel issues normally. However, when I went to put some in the tractor for gel protection, the PS itself was gelled... I had a trucker friend tell me how great Ho9we's was (his opinion) so i thought I would pick some up and see how it did. I left it out over night on top of my car when we hit -26, it stayed liquid, while the PS was jelly... SO if nothing more, wouldn't it be a better anti gel? At this time, I really don't give a dang about cetane, I need the fuel to flow! My dad gelled his tractor (of course, he adds the PS AFTER it died... had it in the house) My sister had her tractor gel, and she had treated it, I have managed to avoid gelling except the one time I didn't have the fuel treated at all. I did have some old PS in the shop, it was NOT gelled, while the newer stuff I had in the truck did, what gives? No, the shop is not heated either.

Best thing to do is call Powerservice directly. I have heard (have not verified) that the chemical formulation of Powerservice interacts with diesel and the two combined will not gel.. but on it's own, it will or may?

No amount of additive will prevent fuel from gelling if it is old or not "winterized" already at the pump. For example... summer diesel will gel before "winter" diesel. Anti-gel additive will help the summer fuel to a point... and then one will need to double-dose... becuase one can only prevent gelling down to a point.

I agree that Howes maybe a better "anti-gel" but does nothing to add cetane or lubricity... and even if your not interested in cetane (as you mentioned above) I would want lubricity. Basically, all your getting in the Howes addivive is Kerosene (or something close to it) at a very expensive rate per ounce!!!

Call Powerservice and ask why your bottle gelled up? Their number can be found when you Google their name.

Lets us know, I would like to know the answer they give you.

Good luck.

Fellro

Staff member
I may have to do that.. the problem I would have with that is that if it is gelled in the bottle, how am I supposed to get it into the tank? All the fuel around here should be "winter blend" since about October. Some of the stations add antigel to their tanks when it gets colder. They were hitting it pretty hard here recently.

The reason I don't care as much on the cetane and lubricity is just for now, while it is nasty cold. The tractors have pretty much never been taken care of in that way, as my old man and uncle who used to own the one never did anything more for maintenance than they absolutely had to. You would crap if I told you how the air filter was on the one tractor, but then, the sleeves showed the damage too, I already have done an overhaul, but because one had pinholed due to straight water in the cooling system... (Had a bad water pump, so rather than fix it, just run straight water through it... ) I did have someone else mention that the PS in the diesel wouldn't gel, but it would in the bottle, but it still has to get to the diesel...

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Okay first off All diesel fuel additives will freeze at specific temperatures, and it varies among the brands.

The Only way to actually lower the cloud point temperature of D2 is to mix it with D1. Commercially available "cold flow improvement additives" (ie Power Service, Stanadyne, Howes) may help delay filter plugging and they lower the Cold Filter Plug Point of diesel about 5 degrees however, they do NOT lower the cloud point temperature, instead the "cold flow improvement additives" work by altering the paraffin crystal shapes so that they will more easily pass through the filter and thereby slowing the filter plugging. In addition, fuel additives must be added specifically as indicated on the package, more is not better in this case, because you quickly get deminishing returns, and to much additive will actually raise the CFPP above the untreated diesel fuel. The pour point of diesel is between 10-20F below the cloud point (depends on the amount & type of waxes in the fuel).

2-D has a cloud point of 25 to 35F, 1-D has a cloud point of about -35 to -40F. For every 10% volume of 1-D added to 2-D you lower the cloud point by about 3 to 4F

The best additive and treat rate for a particular fuel cannot be predicted; it must be determined experimentally.

Since you already have gelled diesel in the tank either move it into a warm environment and allow it to warm up or add 1-D diesel or kerosen directly to the tank and this will remove the gelling. There are high priced aftermarket additives that will un-gell the fuel but 1-D or Kerosene work just as well for alot less money.

Directly from Power Service website:
"Directions:
Add Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost as directed on the container label. Diesel Fuel Supplement should be added to the fuel at a temperature higher than the fuel’s cloud point. To ensure thorough mixing, add prior to filling tanks with diesel fuel. Store above 10ºF.
www.powerservice.com/dfs

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
I don't have gelled fuel in the tank, it was the additive in the bottle. A newer bottle vs and older bottle my uncle had left behind. The newer stuff was gel, the older was not, both white bottle Power Service.

Ford Truck Articles