Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Replacing tie rod ends

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So I got the parts, just waiting for my brother to get here so he can give me a hand. Am I going to need a pitman arm puller for this job? Replacing EVERYTHING (all 4 tie rod ends).

blacksnapon

Staff member
So I got the parts, just waiting for my brother to get here so he can give me a hand. Am I going to need a pitman arm puller for this job? Replacing EVERYTHING (all 4 tie rod ends).
Just take your time,Skan. You'll be fine. The important thing is measure from the sleeve to the center of the tie rod end before removal. That will allow you to reinstall the new one in the same adjustment as the old. A BFH will assist in removal.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Good luck, and you can IM me if you got problems. I'll keep my Chilton manual handy.

Michigan
Good luck man. I replaced all my tie rod ends like you did, measuring everything, including the number of turns to get each tierod off. I ended up getting it pretty much dead on. Last tierod i did i was in a rush to make a trip and forgot a step, i was far off.

If you can get a pickle fork, and a deadblow. Those helped me out a ton! You dont need to remove the pitman arm.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Good luck man. I replaced all my tie rod ends like you did, measuring everything, including the number of turns to get each tierod off. I ended up getting it pretty much dead on. Last tierod i did i was in a rush to make a trip and forgot a step, i was far off.

If you can get a pickle fork, and a deadblow. Those helped me out a ton! You dont need to remove the pitman arm.
Yup, my brother is bringing those 2 tools down with him.

As for counting the turns-- that's what my Ford manual says to do but... If they're not Ford tie rod ends, its it safe to assume that the thread count is exactly the same as the factory tie rod ends? Seems to me that measure from sleeve to tie rod end center is more accurate, no?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hey quick question...

The tie rods already have grease in them... The zerks arent installed when they're shipped so you can see all the grease packed in there... Is it safe to assume that I can just install 'em and go? Or should I get a grease gun and juice 'em up? I'd rather not have to drive down and get a grease gun if I don't have to-- mine is up at my mom's house.

Michigan
The kit i got had the same amount. Not sure on my last tie rod end.

Michigan
Id try greasing them a little.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Hey quick question...

The tie rods already have grease in them... The zerks arent installed when they're shipped so you can see all the grease packed in there... Is it safe to assume that I can just install 'em and go? Or should I get a grease gun and juice 'em up? I'd rather not have to drive down and get a grease gun if I don't have to-- mine is up at my mom's house.

I'ld say yes but get them greased soon, like within a week or so.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well I have to take it downtown to get aligned tomorrow anyways, bout 2 miles or so... I could have them grease 'em for me... But if they're not properly lubricated, is it gonna toast them driving from my house to the shop?

Michigan
I wouldnt think so. Especially if there is a little grease in there already.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Most have some lube .

U need to buy a gun dude . Greasegun that is.

Fellro

Staff member
You can get by running it that little bit on the grease they put in for assembly. Good choice on the alignment, just no way to be certain if it is right or not otherwise. The pickle fork works ok, but a trick I do is to hit the side of the spindle where the tie rod goes through with the BFH when the nut is loose, pop out most every time. You did get new adjuster sleeves as well, right?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
U need to buy a gun dude . Greasegun that is.

I wonder if they sell high capicity grease guns in California or just single shots? smiliestirthepot :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
You can get by running it that little bit on the grease they put in for assembly. Good choice on the alignment, just no way to be certain if it is right or not otherwise. The pickle fork works ok, but a trick I do is to hit the side of the spindle where the tie rod goes through with the BFH when the nut is loose, pop out most every time. You did get new adjuster sleeves as well, right?

x2 on whacking the spindle. it should pop right out.

I wonder if they sell high capicity grease guns in California or just single shots? smiliestirthepot :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

you can get one but you have to apply for a permit and wait 5 years

radialarm

Clown of Death!
you can get one but you have to apply for a permit and wait 5 years

That's about right. Some nut might go postal and lube a bunch of innocent cars.:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts