Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Replacing tie rod ends

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Id just ask the shop to lube it up, you will need to fill the boots up after you install. Can you believe factory ford stuff doesnt have fittings, y do you think econoline and f-series ball joints fail at 30K. Just had a van in today. 99 E-250. 31K ball joints wasted. Should have put some fittings on. Its easy you will have no prob with it. Shift kit got to be like 1000x harder then tie rods.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So it's all done but we got trouble.

I forgot to measure the distance to the sleeve and instead I counted spins when I removed the old ones-- bad idea.

Trying to get the ends to match up and fit into their sockets didnt work out well so we winged it a little bit and spun the joints around until it looked about right. No good. I backed up in the driveway and then pulled back forward, giving the steering a little bit of movement, felt really weird. Got out-- passenger tire is JUST about straight, and the driverside tire is turned significantly to the right :headbang: And the tires now look like this \-----/

But I'm assuming the toe out is because the misalignment of the two tires was pushing the bottoms together :headbang:

So whats the best course of the action? I think the sleeve that we fudged with more was the left one. I'm thinking-- jack up the truck, loosen the left sleeve and rotate her around a few times until the left wheel looks sorta straight? Am I thinkin' right here?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Your killin me here, man.

Try to get the thread count even on either side of the sleeves. keep the steering wheel straight then use a tape measure to get about an 1/8' toe in and get it aligned tomorrow.

Michigan
i recommend un threading and lifting the truck up, make some chalk lines, or eye it up, try to get it as close as you can. No long trips to the alignment shop for you now.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Your killin me here, man.

Try to get the thread count even on either side of the sleeves. keep the steering wheel straight then use a tape measure to get about an 1/8' toe in and get it aligned tomorrow.
Huh? Can you be a little more detailed in what you mean. I'm confused by "1/8' toe in"...

95bronk said:
i recommend un threading and lifting the truck up, make some chalk lines, or eye it up, try to get it as close as you can. No long trips to the alignment shop for you now.
Unthreading what? You mean backing the sleeve off a bit to push the left tire out? And what about chalk lines?!

Please be very clear with your posts... I'm not experience with steering components or terminology.

1/8" toe in. Measure the center treads of the tires...front and back. The front side should measure 1/8" less than the back. That is how we align the old trucks. That and the degree shims I spoke to you about a while back.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
A picture's worth a thousand words right? Notice that the right tire is pointed pretty much straight and the left one is turned to the right. And both are leaning OUT at the top:

dsc01796ik3.jpg

dsc01795di9.jpg

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Huh? Can you be a little more detailed in what you mean. I'm confused by "1/8' toe in"...

Please be very clear with your posts... I'm not experience with steering components or terminology.

Measure from the back side of the tires to the front side and get the front side about an 1/8" shorter than the back.

It sounds like you got a mess and the worst thing you did was moved the truck. Just try and get them aligned as best you can to drive it to a shop tomorrow they shouldn't charge you extra to fix it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
1/8" toe in. Measure the center treads of the tires...front and back. The front side should measure 1/8" less than the back. That is how we align the old trucks. That and the degree shims I spoke to you about a while back.
Ah okay. I don't have a tape measure :headbang:

Modern front ends are a bit mor epicky with allignment, but that is all they did to the old trucks. If it wore or drove funny...they would move it a bit more one way or the other. Same with the shims..2 degrees was swapped out to a 4 degree shim if needed after driving them.

If you can get it close...then take it to a pro to get it alligned. From the pics...you have issues. Drive it to the shop only. Do not pass go and do not collect $200.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
No just blew the old alignment points nothing major

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Sitting still the tires were still aligned somewhat. If the tierod ends would go back in without having to move the tires you would pretty much keep the old alignment

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Modern front ends are a bit mor epicky with allignment, but that is all they did to the old trucks. If it wore or drove funny...they would move it a bit more one way or the other. Same with the shims..2 degrees was swapped out to a 4 degree shim if needed after driving them.

If you can get it close...then take it to a pro to get it alligned. From the pics...you have issues. Drive it to the shop only. Do not pass go and do not collect $200.
Yeah I don't plan on driving it anywhere beside DIRECTLY to the shop.

So game plan for tomorrow morning--

1) Put front axle on stands
2) Loosen clamps on left sleeve
3) Rotate sleeve so that left tire turns back towards straight until the front of the tires is 1/8" skinnier than the rear.
4) Tighten clamps and drop it back down?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sitting still the tires were still aligned somewhat. If the tierod ends would go back in without having to move the tires you would pretty much keep the old alignment
Yeah I gotcha. Problem was that the tie rods wouldnt go back in without adjustment since I forgot to measure from the sleeves to the joints :headbang:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Not being an experienced front end guy you did pretty well mine was not right either. so take it easy.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'll ask my neighbor if him or one of his frat buddies has a tape measure. They're all cowboys with big trucks... ONE of 'em must have one.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts