Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Engine build.

Well Ill start slow.

Powder coated Oil pan, and oil pan bolt girdle
034.jpg

Intake powercoated... Lots of hours spend grinding and sanding it to get it to look like that. Compair with yours and you'll see the differences.. I am going to paint the top parts of the "Ford 5.0 EFI in a nice silver)

023.jpg

Stocker intake
IMG_0316.jpg

Goodyear High miler hose kit
028.jpg

New rad. (I left mine out side and it got stolen(doh)
029.jpg

Some ford racing valve covers. (had them for a while)

032.jpg

Engine. Oringally out of 89 5.0L mustang. with about 60k. Didnt need a over bore, Just a hone. Timing chain cover is Powder coated too- same with the timing marker (silver)

199.jpg

Other stuff.. Yes there is another tip. and a dual 2 1/4" exhaust. These are already installed and used on the truck before this new engine.
headerss.jpg

Ive got more stuff to take picture of. Keep posted.

Last edited:
Heres whats its going in. Old pic.. It looks a bit different now.
ohman.jpg

Havent driven it for over 2 years... Kinda fergot how good it once looked. Now its all dirty from sittin out in the elements.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
hey bud! looking frkn goodd!!

Funny, i did the same color scheme on my truck, same valve coveres too.. odd, your vaccum split is in the opposite spot from mine.. mines closer to the firewall, my PCV port is where your vac split is.. interestinnggg

Heres whats its going in. Old pic.. It looks a bit different now.
ohman.jpg

Havent driven it for over 2 years... Kinda fergot how good it once looked. Now its all dirty from sittin out in the elements.

I like the stripe in the dent. Looks sharp. :D

Took a few steps backwards today.
Installing a piston. One of the protective boots that go on the connecting rod bolts fell off. I didnt notice it and sure enough it made contact with the crank... Damaged the newly machined crank. Its amazing how easy it was to do.... I put the bearing on, put some oil and turned the crank... Made this :

033.jpg

Now the crank has to come out and get a polish...

Last edited:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Vacuum or fuel hose is your friend man...sorry you went backward with it....Love the Powdercoating BTW and I can't wait to see the finished result.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Rather than paint the embossed printing on the plenum, I'd suggest using a flapper wheel sander in a Dremel tool to take the paint off the raised parts and give it a brushed look, then some clearcoat to keep it shiny. That'll stand out nicely, and would probably be a lot easier than worrying about overspray with the silver.

Looks nice.

You gonna do the whole block in black?

Well Guys im back to getting this engine assembled.
Took the crank shaft out yesterday and dropped it off at the machine shop to get polished becasue of those nicks I put on the crank when installing the pistons.

Rather than paint the embossed printing on the plenum, I'd suggest using a flapper wheel sander in a Dremel tool to take the paint off the raised parts and give it a brushed look, then some clearcoat to keep it shiny. That'll stand out nicely, and would probably be a lot easier than worrying about overspray with the silver.

Looks nice.

You gonna do the whole block in black?

Ill brush the paint on the letters. The block will be that silver. Its a Indrustral silver paint used on volvo marine engines.

Engine302004.jpg

Removing Frost plugs.

Engine302005.jpg

New Brass ones.

Engine302006.jpg

A corretly sized Socket used to hammer in the plugs.

Engine302007.jpg

Engine302008.jpg

Removing old ones. Hammer a screw driver thru the frost plug

Engine302009.jpg
Pry away

Engine302010.jpg

Oh yeah much better

Thats all the progress for today. Ill be picking up the crank shaft tomarrow so i can Re install it. This time I got boots for the rods so no more bo-bo's on the crank.

Rather than paint the embossed printing on the plenum, I'd suggest using a flapper wheel sander in a Dremel tool to take the paint off the raised parts and give it a brushed look, then some clearcoat to keep it shiny.
The problem with that is paint isn't as durable as powdercoat and will come off sooner or later and then the bare aluminum will begin to corrode, and that happens faster if you live in a northern or wet climate. I had the same idea when I powdercoated my 5.8 intake but decided to simply paint on the highlight color for this reason, and here it is after 10 years of use in the great salty north, dirty but otherwise intact. I believe I simply used a low pile roller to apply the black paint.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/3244809821_9a8fcb07e7_b.jpg

Update

Engine302001.jpg

Pistons going back in.

Engine302002-1.jpg

Block studded with ARP's and timing chain set in.

Engine302004-1.jpg

Now I kind of got the ahead of my self and wanted to see what the engine would look like so i mocked everything up... so dont hate heres what it will roughly look like... Still have a few more changes todo.

Engine302006-1.jpg

Engine302010-1.jpg

Engine302012-1.jpg

Engine302015.jpg

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
looking good buddy!! now to put it in and test it :) what cam and heads did u use?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Looks good . Like yours I had intake /plenum all smoothed off ready to be powered coated. And had Ford racing lettering cut out of a valve cover fit to the top . Guy doing power coating like so much he made me offer $$ I couldn't refuse..Takes a long time to smooth them .

You did nice job . Should be a nice addition to the F250

cam is trick flow stage 1.
heads are stock e7s.
Im still going to run speed density, so cant flow to much air.

cam is trick flow stage 1.
heads are stock e7s.
Im still going to run speed density, so cant flow to much air.

Well I got some bad news for you... the cam is the most important part with speed density and the TFS cams are not SD friendly. Here's is what your motor is going to sound like, and while some may think that's bad assed the stalling every time you come to a stop or touch the throttle from idle will get old real quick.

http://www.truveo.com/50-mustang-trick-flow-stage1-cam-at-idle/id/1093419684

well heres some progress....

engineNburnout006.jpg

Engine on hoist.

engineNburnout010.jpg

New clutch assembly on.

engineNburnout016.jpg

Going in!

engineNburnout017.jpg

engineNburnout019.jpg

engineNburnout022.jpg

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Lookin good! Can't wait for a vid of her runnin!

Well it runs now. I WISH I PUT A NEW SLAVE CYLINDER IN IT!! I was about to but didnt feel like it. And now the clutch wont fully in guage now.. I tried to drive it wont go into any gear. Now im pulling the trans... This is biting me in the butt. It would of been so easy to change with the engine out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts