Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 04-17-2021, 12:10 PM

F-ing Fan is on a distinguished road
Axle ID

Hello all,

I purchased a '73 highboy recently. Surprised to see disk brakes but wondering about what disks to purchase once started on a renovation. I would like to know something about the axle. Chrome cover so no info there. Excited but very green at this point.

Hoping my five pictures attached; my first post!

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5184.jpg (80.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5185.jpg (77.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5186.jpg (98.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5318.jpg (83.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5320.jpg (123.9 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2021, 02:01 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
I see ball joints, so I'm betting it's a 79 dana 44 from a f 150. Last year for the straight axle, first year for ball joints and disk brakes

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If I keep getting banned from forums, and warned on Facebook, pretty soon I'll learn to behave
Old 04-17-2021, 10:47 PM
crank polisher

Blue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to behold
Looks like a Dana 44 to me. When you go to the parts store for brakes look them up for a 1979 F-250 4x4. Was probably changed to get away from the closed knuckle and drum brakes.

Couldn't tell in the pics, did they remove the power assist steering and stuff too?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2021, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The power assist is all there but I plan to upgrade. Wish they would have done that when the swapped the axle.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:08 PM
Instigator

heavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to behold
If these 2 say it's a Dana 44, then it's a Dana 44.

"DOC"
Old 04-18-2021, 10:25 PM
crank polisher

Blue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to beholdBlue-Truck-Nut97 is a splendid one to behold
I don't mind the power assist, until it starts leaking anyway. I like the heavy steering feel, the full power trucks steer too easy in my opinion.

I struck out on brake pad part numbers, and caliper part numbers, should be easily found by application, hopefully. I did find the hardware kit # from my last job. I had fits with mine trying to keep the slides in.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:02 AM

You guys are awesome! I get what you mean about the assist. I have a crappy shoulder (61) so looking to the future thinking the conversion makes sense.

You guys ever experience the electric PS?

Mark
Old 04-23-2021, 05:38 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
I see ball joints, so I'm betting it's a 79 dana 44 from a f 150. Last year for the straight axle, first year for ball joints and disk brakes

Charlie, my '78 has disc brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 04-23-2021, 08:25 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Check the build date on the door jamb. I bet it has ball joints too.
Probably a late 78, say August or September

If I keep getting banned from forums, and warned on Facebook, pretty soon I'll learn to behave
Old 04-23-2021, 08:26 PM
crank polisher

Guess I don't get updates anymore.......

Never heard of electric power steering. Sounds interesting, wouldn't mind hearing more.

Doug, my 78 has discs also, but it's a late production 78. I think the 2wd trucks had discs starting in 71 or 72??