Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shift Kit Crap

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Great tip Don...usually I just relied on diagrams or memory...two very dangerous things.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I will use a diagram as a back up...
But pulling it out and putting it in the very order, fail proof, Take a picture if you need too, if your worried about stuff getting moved or something...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Finally did this and boyyyyy... I feel in love with my truck all over again.

I didn't realize just exactly how harsh my shifts had progressively gotten until after I swapped them back tonight and mannn... My truck shifts like a DREAM! Bear in mind that HALF of the shift kit is still installed in my truck. Apparently the newer shift kits that B&M sells are pretty much the same as mine, MINUS the shift springs. My kit included:

-Stiffer shift springs (1 set of tow springs, 1 set of stiffer RACING springs, and a spring for the front pump which I didn't install)
-Brass timing valve sleeve; this is a sleeve that is inserted into the timing valve to change the TIMING of the shifts, so they shift at a more optimal RPM/Speed/Throttle-position
-Electrical jumper for installing at the computer; I believe this modifies the line pressure for the shift solenoids
-Drill bit for widening some of the holes in the separator plate, to provide higher fluid pressure
-Matching separator plate gaskets for the wider holes

All that I swapped tonight were the shift springs, back to stock (thank gawd I saved them). So my shifts aren't quite as harsh anymore but they still shift at a BETTER point in time. I still have the wider holes in the separator plate, brass timing valve sleeve, and electrical connector installed. I'm very happy with the way it shifts now. Under heavier throttle I still get a little kick on my 1-2 shift, but it feels GOOOOOD. Not too stiff but feels firm and solid-- not like my trans is BREAKING :p

That's the update YelloThumbUp

Last edited:
want to link your original thread to this one, so people that find that also get to read this one about how happy you were to take them?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Gezze forgot to mention how I saved ur meltdown on the cell. Lol. Im the Shift Kit King Ha.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Apparently you dont remember talking to him after consulting me?
Lol nahh I'm just giving him a hard time.

Yeah Chris saved my butt. I pulled down the accumulator and THOUGHT there was supposed to be a check ball there. After looking for about 20 minutes (including sifting through my trans pan full of fluid) I started freaking out. Called Chris and he convinced me that there was NOT supposed to be a check ball there. He had to say it about 73 times before I finally calmed down. LOL!

And Don thanks for getting back to me... Only 12 hours after I sent you the "call me ASAP" PM :rofl2:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts