Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shift Kit Crap

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So I mentioned in another thread that my 1-2 shift is wayyy too harsh since I installed the shift kit (seems like its gotten progressively more stiff). The kit involves installing 3 springs and I've heard that the each spring corresponds to a shift (1-2 shift, 2-3 shift, 3-overdrive shift).

So I just got off the phone with B&M tech support and the guy told me that yes indeed each spring corresponds to a shift and that I could find the 1-2 spring and swap it back to stock. But he didn't have the proper information there with him to figure out WHICH spring is the 1-2 shift spring.

Here are the three springs that get replaced with the shift kit:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/bmm-10025(2)6.jpg

Disregard the last one about the pump-- I didn't install that one.

My question is-- does anyone know for sure which spring is my 1-2 spring?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I've never done a shift kit before but I have heard if you use the wrong springs it and cause serious damage to tranny parts..
Good luck man :D

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
alright. I cant find my E4OD book, but if memory serves me correct. On your diagram, at the top it is the spring on the right... three are 2 side by side, then the ony by its self. the lone one is the 1-2 shift spring...

I will see if i cant find that book, but im fairly sure im right..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I trust your judgment Don but I'd rather see it get confirmed before I tear it apart and find out later it was the wrong spring :rofl:

Lemme know if you find that book. If not I'll see if I can't find a reputable trans shop in the area.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Who needs a trans shop, just swap 1 spring out at a time. If it dont change it, redo it, common man, ur pan got a drain.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Who needs a trans shop, just swap 1 spring out at a time. If it dont change it, redo it, common man, ur pan got a drain.

My thoughts exactly...it might be pain if you don't get it the first time, but you'd only have to do it 3 times max. That way you're avoiding any costs.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hahaha I'm not taking my accumulator off THREE TIMES!

Ben I'm not talking about paying a trans shop to do it-- I'm talking about speaking to a trans shop and asking if they know which spring is the 1-2 spring. As long as a find a nice tranny guy, it shouldn't cost me anything for this piece of information. Why go to the trouble of taking it apart 3 times if I can do it right the first time?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
touche...I've never had a good experience with a tranny shop, so I try to avoid them like the plague. There was a guy once who charged me for talking to him on the phone when HE called me about what I wanted to do about the AOD in my 87 Bronco. So I guess I'm a little bias.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
touche...I've never had a good experience with a tranny shop, so I try to avoid them like the plague. There was a guy once who charged me for talking to him on the phone when HE called me about what I wanted to do about the AOD in my 87 Bronco. So I guess I'm a little bias.

THAT would be illegal...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
THAT would be illegal...

Well he said it was because it was regarding my vehicle in which he was working on...I knew it was bogus, and after all the crap he put me through, I said forget it and went and picked it up...he asked for money and showed me the bill, my tranny wasn't even out of the Bronco yet...so he tried charging me for labor, phone calls and parts ordered...needless to say I never paid that bill, and then I brought it to my dad's buddy that overcharges'smiliedoh'

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Would rather be over charged and have it done correct with out b.s. then be charged for random b.s.

Then again, there is a reason i do 99.9% of ALL work on my truck...
I dont trust shops, and the ones i do. Well, its cheaper for me to do it myself.
I have 1 machine shop in town i trust, and 2 other shops in town i would not hesitate to take my truck to.
But i like wrenching so i do almost all of it on my own.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I hear ya Don...I usually do all my wrenching too, unless time is of the issue or I don't have the means to do a job. And this was back when I still wasn't too comfortable with trannies, and now I may not be any better with trannies, but at least I feel comfortable and can fake it til I make it.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Its only as hard as you make it. The trick with auto trannies, when you take them apart, lay them out in the exact order the parts come out, NEVER undo that order. Will make it much easier to put back together, i still do this and i spent 2 years a trans shop. My boss there you could throw parts from 4 differents transmissions into a box and he could take them out seperate them accordingly and put them back together. Perfectly...

Now THAT is amazing...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts