Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How To get Power From a 302...

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
search my vids on youtube.. im in a hurry now gotta get to work.. search for F150 cobra frst drive or something like that you will hear the cam... ill link the vids later for yah

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Good choice on heads...I've done a little more reading on them and it's changed my mind about em....they've got 56-59CC combustion chambers.....I was actually thinkin bout switchin to those just because of that...I think I lost power with these GT40's since the combustion chambers are bigger than an E7 head......I still don't know how well you're gonna like that alphabet cam though...they were designed to push a 2800 pound car......

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Good choice on heads...I've done a little more reading on them and it's changed my mind about em....they've got 56-59CC combustion chambers.....I was actually thinkin bout switchin to those just because of that...I think I lost power with these GT40's since the combustion chambers are bigger than an E7 head......I still don't know how well you're gonna like that alphabet cam though...they were designed to push a 2800 pound car......

Gt40 over the E7's wont rob you power... the Gt40's flow much much better than the E7's but Gt40P flow better than the Gt40's

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Gt40 over the E7's wont rob you power... the Gt40's flow much much better than the E7's but Gt40P flow better than the Gt40's

Actually the ultimate difference is the size of the combustion chambers......GT40's have a 68-69CC chamber while the E7's have 61-63CC chambers and the P's have 56-58CC chambers as well as the spark plugs being in an entirely different spot for optimum fuel burn.

GT40's have a 68-69CC chamber while the E7's have 61-63CC chambers and the P's have 56-58CC chambers

No, the E7's and the most common GT40 casting(F1ZE) have roughly the same chamber size at around 62-64cc while the Cobra casting(F3ZE,F4ZE) have 60-63cc chambers. There have not been any 68-69cc chamber heads since the smog era. The GT40p heads are also more in the 58-60cc range.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm buying the F cam...

Did you even look at the specs on this cam? What makes you think this is a good choice for a truck 5.0? Hope you're also planning on a 3000 stall converter and 4.56 gears because the motor is gonna be a 90lb weakling below 3000rpm.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
No, the E7's and the most common GT40 casting(F1ZE) have roughly the same chamber size at around 62-64cc while the Cobra casting(F3ZE,F4ZE) have 60-63cc chambers. There have not been any 68-69cc chamber heads since the smog era. The GT40p heads are also more in the 58-60cc range.

where are these number (castings) on the head?

and what about flow? wich one flows better?

and with my combo the cam carb and Gt40's am i loosing power or not?

Casting numbers are on the head gasket side near one of the center intake ports so the intake has to be removed to see it at the very least. Gt40 heads flow about 20% better than E7's and the P's another 10% again. You also have a custom cam so you're not missing any power.

Last edited:

KdPate

After Hours Garage
where are these number (castings) on the head? In various locations. Might be on the valve spring side of the head or on the underside. Will start as an E7, F1, F4. GT-40P heads will have "GTP" cast toward the front of them.

and what about flow? wich one flows better?From worst tobest E7<GT-40<GT-40P<aftermarket

and with my combo the cam carb and Gt40's am i loosing power or not?]Depends on where you want your power band. GT-40 heads might be the happy median of torque/ horsepower for the F-150, but for higher horsepower there are better alternatives...

See my answers in red.

Edit....Damn treed by Paul....:news-n-coffee:

Last edited:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
See my answers in red.

In various locations. Might be on the valve spring side of the head or on the underside. Will start as an E7, F1, F4. GT-40P heads will have "GTP" cast toward the front of them.

From worst tobest E7<GT-40<GT-40P<aftermarket

]Depends on where you want your power band. GT-40 heads might be the happy median of torque/ horsepower for the F-150, but for higher horsepower there are better alternatives...

Edit....Damn treed by Paul....:news-n-coffee:

on the outside mine are marked GT
IMGP8428.jpg

in the future i wanna get AFR heads the Gt40's are a good start point i think but AFR's are much better i think :)

KdPate

After Hours Garage
AFR heads are nice. A friend of mine is putting AFR 225s on a 302 stroker, however, there is a snail blowing into it to add some extra ponies.........:wasntme:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
AFR heads are nice. A friend of mine is putting AFR 225s on a 302 stroker, however, there is a snail blowing into it to add some extra ponies.........:wasntme:

hehheh yeah i wanna put a snail or AFR's dunno yet.. my goal is 350-400Hp at rear wheels with a snail its easier i think

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts