Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How To get Power From a 302...

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
I thought about and I dont know if I'm gonna get the P heads....I think for now I'm gonna get stock Mustang heads that have valve springs for my F cam...

why not??? hang around a mustang forum and ask around... what to do (thats what i did ) its worth it.. the flow is MUCH better than stock mustang heads..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
yes you will the Gt40p uses a different angle plug than the regular gt40 soo... search around forums and see what they do!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
That will be your best bet...the stock mustang heads are just E7TE's IIRC.......higher compression ratio and stock manifolds seems like an even trade off IMO. You'll probably need to grab the Ypipe off the Exploder as well.....

Longtube and unequal length shorty headers will fit on a motor with GT40p heads, you just have to be prepared to do some test fitting and clearance the flange and header tubes where necessary. You'll also want some plug wires with 90 deg boots and some heat shielding wrap for them.

And get rid of that F cam and buy something else, it's not at all suitable for a truck 5.0 motor. Even a stock 5.0HO cam will do a lot better, maybe you can arrange a swap with a mustang guy or something.

Last edited:
Longtube and unequal length shorty headers will fit on a motor with GT40p heads, you just have to be prepared to do some test fitting and clearance the flange and header tubes where necessary. You'll also want some plug wires with 90 deg boots and some heat shielding wrap for them.

And get rid of that F cam and buy something else, it's not at all suitable for a truck 5.0 motor. Even a stock 5.0HO cam will do a lot better, maybe you can arrange a swap with a mustang guy or something.

yeah, I have been doing some research on that cam...and it wont work on Speed Density, right?

If I get a new cam, I would like one that would make a lopey idle...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I love this thread....

If I get a new cam, I would like one that would make a lopey idle...

Not to be a jerk, but anything with a lopey idle is most likely going to be highly unsuitable for a 4000lb+ truck. Plus, lopey idle and factory speed density don't play well with eachother either. So much for that plan.

Plus, lopey idle and factory speed density don't play well with each other either.

+1.. a cam that produces a lopey idle has a very weak vacuum signal and SD requires a strong vacuum signal, so the two are mutually exclusive. A stock HO cam with 1.7 rockers or the one in my sig with 1.6 rockers are still your best options.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts