Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How To get Power From a 302...

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
+1.. a cam that produces a lopey idle has a very weak vacuum signal and SD requires a strong vacuum signal, so the two are mutually exclusive. A stock HO cam with 1.7 rockers or the one in my sig with 1.6 rockers are still your best options.

i have a lopey idle.. BUT! my powerband is 3000+ up and i have a manual but installing a automatic with an 2500+ stall!

getting a cam for sound is like getting an honda for looks ( wont serve u any good )

Well, Im sorta thinking about putting 4.10's in it....

I want a FAST truck!!

A 302 with a huge lopey cam? 4.56s or better. Sorry, it is totally the wrong choice for a truck. Not to mention loud cams aren't always what makes more power in the first place. It will not work with speed density is your primary problem. It wont make enough vacuum to make the computer happy, it wont make enough vacuum to run power brakes. You will have a truck that runs like poo and can't stop, is that what you want?

A 302 with a huge lopey cam? 4.56s or better. Sorry, it is totally the wrong choice for a truck. Not to mention loud cams aren't always what makes more power in the first place. It will not work with speed density is your primary problem. It wont make enough vacuum to make the computer happy, it wont make enough vacuum to run power brakes. You will have a truck that runs like poo and can't stop, is that what you want?

I know loud cams dont make more power...I just love the sound!

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
With SD your choices are limited.. you cant get a lopey cam with an SD... get an maf swap its easy..

and about cams

a bigger sounding lopier cam is a bigger cam that will require sopporting mods like heads i have the 35-351-8 and i love it...i recomend u that one.. but if you wanna try the other ones its up to you.. there are soo many cams selections off the shelf for our engines you will go crazy .. trust me i have when i was looking for cams.. but the difference is soo little that you wont feel it much..

With SD your choices are limited.. you cant get a lopey cam with an SD... get an maf swap its easy..

and about cams

a bigger sounding lopier cam is a bigger cam that will require sopporting mods like heads i have the 35-351-8 and i love it...i recomend u that one.. but if you wanna try the other ones its up to you.. there are soo many cams selections off the shelf for our engines you will go crazy .. trust me i have when i was looking for cams.. but the difference is soo little that you wont feel it much..

Naw, I'm gonna stick with SD...

Okay, I have made up my mind...Im getting the same cam as you, that'll work with SD, right?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Naw, I'm gonna stick with SD...

Okay, I have made up my mind...Im getting the same cam as you, that'll work with SD, right?

i dont think so.. you can try :) if they can run the F cam on SD this cam is a little less so i think it can.. only 1 way to find out huh ?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Yeah, but I'm not gonna buy it if it wont work properly...Geez!

How is the stock cam in my motor?

we all told you.. the cam you want.. nomather what make or anything you will need an MAF swap for it to work properly

Have a look for a HO cam or get the one i suggested way back there... 35-349-8 which is a little bigger than the HO. Both of these will work with SD and produce LOTS more power with those GT40 heads.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Have a look for a HO cam or get the one i suggested way back there... 35-349-8 which is a little bigger than the HO. Both of these will work with SD and produce LOTS more power with those GT40 heads.

yupp ii was waiting on you to show up paul... thats a good SD friendly cam.. and its just a step smaller than my cam it should produce like paul said LOTS of power!

Well, today I ordered a gasket set, main and rod bearings, and a new timing chain for my 302 from summit...

So, when I go back to school, i can get the new crank in and start putting it back together.

Then In the spring, I will put the Comp 35-349-8 and FRPP headers for the GT40P heads on it.

I cant wait to get it done!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts