Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CB Radio Mounted and Wired!

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Hey Ian, on that note... I was thinking of going down and grabbing a cheap PA just so I could play with the radio until the antenna comes. If there is no antenna attached, in PA mode, and you key up... The signal goes straight to the speaker and doesn't get transmitted over the CB? As in-- no damage done if I key up the PA with no antenna attached?

CB radios are AM (Amplitude Modulation), and the audio power amp in the CB either modulates the RF carrier at the RF output stage (CB mode) or is fed to an external speaker in PA mode. In PA mode, the CB is nothing more than an amplifier. So, keying the mike in PA mode will not hurt the RF output stage without an antenna. As far as fixing the feedback problem in PA mode, position the speaker so the sound from it doesn't reach the mike, and this will
fix it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
What kind of car is the res one in the background? (Post 200!)
I meant to post pics for you when I got home (was posting on my iPhone before) and I forgot until now. Here ya go ;)

DSC01064.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I meant to post pics for you when I got home (was posting on my iPhone before) and I forgot until now. Here ya go ;)
DSC01065.jpg
I had a '72 MGB it was British Racing Green though and the mirrors were out on the front fenders!!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I had a '72 MGB it was British Racing Green though and the mirrors were out on the front fenders!!!
Yeah that would be the chrome bumper MGB... Though I don't recall them having the mirrors out on the fenders (though some MG's do). Here's a 72 in the color I believe you're talking about:

MGB72Izzo.jpg

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Yeah that would be the chrome bumper MGB... Though I don't recall them having the mirrors out on the fenders (though some MG's do). Here's a 72 in the color I believe you're talking about:

MGB72Izzo.jpg

:waa:
I miss my,
I miss my,
I miss my MGB!!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Workin' on getting a good antenna bracket that I can mount on the inside of my bed-rail... Couldn't find anything to my liking so I just drew this up in Photoshop-- seein' if Rick can fab it up for me :)

wilson1000mount.jpg

Whatchu guys think?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well keep in mind this is a whip, not hard fiberglass. A drive through should just bend the whip and not put too much stress on the mount (unless it's REALLY low, but then I've got no business being there in the first place).

That being said-- I'm sure Rick would make it real stout. The mounts he made for my efan were thick as hell. He's majoring in manufacturing/fabrication so he knows all of the logistics behind that kind of stuff.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Workin' on getting a good antenna bracket that I can mount on the inside of my bed-rail... Couldn't find anything to my liking so I just drew this up in Photoshop-- seein' if Rick can fab it up for me :)

wilson1000mount.jpg

Whatchu guys think?
I've got a nice heavy aluminum one around here I'll get pics of it and if you want I'll send it to you!!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've got a nice heavy aluminum one around here I'll get pics of it and if you want I'll send it to you!!!
For a Wilson 1000?! Mounts for these are hard to come by... Wilson only makes 3 different mounts and they all come WITH the antenna when you buy it... Magnet mount, trunk-lid mount, or roof mount. I got the roof mount and I'm basically emulating the roof by using a bracket with a flat piece of metal.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well since your goin that route id put it up on the front piece of the bed ( cant remember what its called) and put it right in the middle.
That actually might look kinda badass, but the whip would smack my cab while swaying around, plus it would interfere with the lid on my toolbox.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Put it on the front of the tool box. I just helped put one on my buddies truck and thats where we put it. It looks alot better there and ya wont have to worry about tree branches takin it off when ya drive by em.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Put it on the front of the tool box. I just helped put one on my buddies truck and thats where we put it. It looks alot better there and ya wont have to worry about tree branches takin it off when ya drive by em.
Meh.. Might look kinda goofy on my truck since the toolbox isn't visible from the side of the truck. It'd look like whip is just poppin up right in the middle my bed, outta nowhere.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Hahahahaha ya also could move your box back a couple inches and still put it on the front part. I had my old one that sat down in like that moved back 4 or 5 inches to work with the light bar and that was moved back to work with the antenna mounts.

Ford Truck Articles