Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CB Radio Mounted and Wired!

Looks great Chris! Just be sure not to tear if off while your offroading... :D (BTW, think I could get on of those brackets? ;))

You know, all of those darn parking garage girders and low bridges you see when off roading... :rotz: :p

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If anyone is interested in getting one of these brackets I'd be happy to ask Rick how much he'd charge to make more. I'm very satisfied with it-- it's SUPER strong. My antenna is actually skewed slightly to the left side of the truck right now (because of my diamond plate bed rail caps) and I tried to bend the bracket to the right after bolting it down... The bracket won :headbang:

Strong as an ox!!

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
looks REAL good chris! i didnt realize that antenna was the long! i kinda like where its mounted too. i might do that to mine

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
looks REAL good chris! i didnt realize that antenna was the long! i kinda like where its mounted too. i might do that to mine
Thanks buddy :) I'm pretty satisfied with it. If you do mount where I did mine-- make sure to mount it at least 1 foot from the cab. In one of the photos you can see a bolt in the diamond plate where I drilled it and my brother walked by and said NO!!! :rofl2:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Thanks buddy :) I'm pretty satisfied with it. If you do mount where I did mine-- make sure to mount it at least 1 foot from the cab. In one of the photos you can see a bolt in the diamond plate where I drilled it and my brother walked by and said NO!!! :rofl2:

Why's that? Cause of lossing signal or? I personally think I would want to lose some signal... than risk getting the antenna torn off from being so far away from the cab. just my .02 worth...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Why's that? Cause of lossing signal or? I personally think I would want to lose some signal... than risk getting the antenna torn off from being so far away from the cab. just my .02 worth...
Yeah I guess the metal cab disturbs the signal from the antenna-- creates some kind of interference...

How does scooting the antenna way from the cab put it at more risk of getting torn off?? :confused:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Yeah I guess the metal cab disturbs the signal from the antenna-- creates some kind of interference...

How does scooting the antenna way from the cab put it at more risk of getting torn off?? :confused:

Yeah... that's what I thought lol

Well, I know how I am.. and within 6 month's I would have it torn off.. I can think of a few examples right off the top of my head

1. tree branches
2. throw somthing over the side of the bed
3. (won't happen to you) but towing a fithwheel/goosneck in a sharp turn.. it could very possibly hit.

That's just my theory...odds are you probably won't have any problems out of it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
1. tree branches
Tree branches absolutely will not break it. My brother has the same antenna and drives under things that are only slightly taller than the top of his cab, such as parking garages for example. This hits the antenna almost at it's center point and bends it back 90*-- no breakage yet and he's had it there for several years.

Something like this could very likely break it... But the simple solution here is just to NOT BE DUMB! :rolling laugh: If you're going to be throwing large objects out of the bed, either watch your antenna closely or just remove it (it unscrews from the mount and there's a plastic screw on cap that replaces it, for purposes just like the one you mentioned).

3. (won't happen to you) but towing a fithwheel/goosneck in a sharp turn.. it could very possibly hit.
The only way to get a goose neck swung THAT far round the bed would be if you jack knifed the damned thing. There's not an ice cubes chance in hell that anyone in their right mind could hit it with a goose neck. It's only a foot from the cab, there's still 5 and half feet of bed behind it.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Tree branches absolutely will not break it. My brother has the same antenna and drives under things that are only slightly taller than the top of his cab, such as parking garages for example. This hits the antenna almost at it's center point and bends it back 90*-- no breakage yet and he's had it there for several years.

True... I forgot just how flexible they are

Something like this could very likely break it... But the simple solution here is just to NOT BE DUMB! :rolling laugh: If you're going to be throwing large objects out of the bed, either watch your antenna closely or just remove it (it unscrews from the mount and there's a plastic screw on cap that replaces it, for purposes just like the one you mentioned).

Yeah... but I bet I would break it :rolling laugh:

It's easy to forget it's there...

The only way to get a goose neck swung THAT far round the bed would be if you jack knifed the damned thing. There's not an ice cubes chance in hell that anyone in their right mind could hit it with a goose neck. It's only a foot from the cab, there's still 5 and half feet of bed behind it.

I have seen people with short bed trucks HAVE to get it close to their cab backing into places.... it's not very common, but it is necessary sometimes, but as you metioned (and I didn't know) you can unscrew it at the base...

replied in red :wasntme:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
breaker breaker 1-9 theres a smokey in the bushes
On that note-- I must have transmitted "breaker 1-9, can I get a radio check?" about 30 times today. Never got a response... :headbang: But I was also doing it from my driveway in a heavily populated city (lots of trees and buildings between me and the nearest highway).

Nearest thoroughfare for trucks is ~2 miles away and there's nothing but trees and buildings between there and my house.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
haha nice! my grandather has a homebase in his basement and when i was younger i used to go into the basement and turn it on and talk to all the truckers on the highway near the house... :)

Blade

Backwoods boy
Yeah... that's what I thought lol

Well, I know how I am.. and within 6 month's I would have it torn off.. I can think of a few examples right off the top of my head

1. tree branches

That's just my theory...odds are you probably won't have any problems out of it.

ummmmmmm. count number one out for me....... the other 2 i could quiet possibly do........

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Antenna looks great, Chris. Just out of curiosity, where did you run the coax out of the truck cab?

Lemme think here...62" whip on the bedrail must stick up, what, a little over two feet higher than the roof of the truck?

My friend's mother knocked out not one, but TWO rear windows on her shortbed Dodge pulling a fiver.. :rolling laugh:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Antenna looks great, Chris. Just out of curiosity, where did you run the coax out of the truck cab?
The coax comes down the stake pocket and through an empty hole in the top of the frame rail (reminds me I still need to put a grommet there), then it follows the frame up to a grommet in the floorpan under the rear seat. From the rear seat it heads straight for the rear side of the rear driver door, then I pulled up the trim pieces that follow up to the front of the cab and hid it underneath. The cable is completely hidden ;)

john112deer said:
Lemme think here...62" whip on the bedrail must stick up, what, a little over two feet higher than the roof of the truck?
Your math sounds about right but I swear it looks more like 3+ feet.. [confused]

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Chris truckers use channel 17 on the west coast. And channel 19 on the east coast and in between.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts