Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CB Radio Mounted and Wired!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
FYI, Chris...the coil of the W1000 is the same regardless of base, so if you change your mounting plan, you may be able to pick up the coax/mounting stuff similar to what Doc has, but keep your coil/whip. (Though I don't know how the prices compare to just buying a whole new antenna.) The mag-base may come in handy at some point in the future, too. Or you can get the 39" short load whip for the roof-mount if you want it a bit shorter.

Also be aware that (according to CB guys) you'll get better performance from mounting it in the center of the roof than anywhere else.

I seriously considered mounting the antenna to the bed of my truck with just a metal plate that would go over the bed rail and stick out beside the cap, with a hole drilled in it. 'Course, where mine's the flareside, that still keeps the antenna "inside" the width of the pickup cab. Maybe you could do something that would go towards the "front" of the bed; I'm not sure how much space there is and how much flex you get- obviously you don't want any chance of the mount hitting the cab.

I really like the fender-mount, personally. Only reason I didn't go with that is that my fender and hood aren't quite straight, so there wasn't space to run a coax.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Chris just listen to all the channels on the cb and if theres anybody talkin then ask for a radio check. Ive done it quite a bit with guys out here that have em. It would also help if ya say "breaker" before the chanel number when ya ask em for a radio check so it sounds like ya know what your doin and not some kid screwin around on his daddys CB. There should be people on ch19 but if theres no just go through em all and listen to each one for a bit.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Check this thing out:

http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/ss-194.htm

Firestik makes it, so I'm not sure how well it'll work with my Wilson 1000... But the design is pretty simple, I could almost just make my own (ie, have Rick make it :D )

te-ss194.gif

Never even thought about a stake pocket mount...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That is basically what I meant...I was gonna rig up my own, of course.

But...I think (biases aside) it's a mounting that would look better on my truck than yours- I think with the styleside bed, it'll look a bit odd sticking out like that. Not awful, mind you, but, I'd rather the fender mount.

(Check your e-mail in a few minutes.)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
That is basically what I meant...I was gonna rig up my own, of course.

But...I think (biases aside) it's a mounting that would look better on my truck than yours- I think with the styleside bed, it'll look a bit odd sticking out like that. Not awful, mind you, but, I'd rather the fender mount.

(Check your e-mail in a few minutes.)
Looks okay on this truck:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/data/500/26056Carova_OBX_dune_water_crossing.jpg

Here's another option, if I wanted to mount it on the front fender:
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/tmrce_2023_4732564

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
From that angle it looks OK...but I'd want to see it from straight ahead. [confused]

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
That might look better on the back of the bed instead of the front.
Which is also possible... In fact it might even be BETTER because of the note that I saw on their website...

IMPORTANT: When mounted in either of the stake hole pockets directly behind the vehicle cab, antennas that are shorter than 4-feet will experience substantial reflection from the metallic corners of the cab (between the side and rear glass). Antennas shorter than 4-feet will, in most likelihood, be difficult if not impossible to tune to a satisfactory SWR. Subsequently, antennas under 4' are not recommended for use with this mount.

Side note: Just talked to Rick and he's pretty sure he can make me up something JUST like what Firestik sells, except compatible with my Wilson 1000 and at a fraction of the cost...

What's your vote guys? Or do I need to make a poll? :D

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Thats a bunch of crap I had two antennas that would barely clear the cab on my 85 and they worked fine. The range was a little shorter cause the antennas were shorter. Ya also dont need to calibrate anything if the antenna is already calibrated from the factory. All the swr meter does if ya dont have adjustable antennas is check the co-ax and the radio its self.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That might look better on the back of the bed instead of the front.

Which is also possible... In fact it might even be BETTER because of the note that I saw on their website...

With the topper, it'd look better at the back, but without the topper, it'll look funny at the back. Probably work better at the back regardless of topper or not.

(Just my opinion of course, but one formulated from many nights trying to decide what to do on my own truck.)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts