Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Austin's 1995 F-150

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
These pipes are definitely behind the cab by a good bit.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Your face is definitely behind the cab by a good bit!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Here's a note from a detailer: if you own aluminum (aluminium) wheels, use proper cleaners and keep them polished regularly. You'll thank me.

1017629_10152074690832284_1099136803_n.jpg

Waxed her up the other day. I get lazy with my stuff after cleaning everybody's rides.

1488052_10152075121327284_1070025669_n.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Buffing time!

A quick, horribly photo-ed 50/50 shot... working on the final pad/chemical combos. This weekend may provide enough time for a full session! smilieFordlogo

Read this: to understand what's going on here, follow the scratches in the light from my flash. Those are swirl marks from years of poor washing, environmental stuffs, etc.. What I'm doing is leveling the paint to those swirls, thus leaving me with even less precious clear coat.

Left side: full of swirls, oxidation, and other random isolated deep scratches (RIDS)

Right side: significantly less swirls, no oxidation, very few RIDS.

Why are there still imperfections, you might ask... Simple, I have very little clear coat available to remove. I will remove the least amount possible to achieve acceptable results. The right side is much glossier, has a lower number of imperfections, and is leveled to a point I've deemed safe.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm here to educate. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I got some Accurides for you to clean up :D

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Now, those are fun. Sand paper and sideways angle grinding! (Most aluminum guys that work on those use 6000rpm beasts with 12" pads. Really cool, really dirty, pretty dangerous.)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yeah.....I've not done too much to them!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
A lot of sanding! Check out this guy's work, helped me learn a good bit about working with aluminium.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
There is something to be said about anodizing!

BIGRED911

Charter Member
Now, those are fun. Sand paper and sideways angle grinding! (Most aluminum guys that work on those use 6000rpm beasts with 12" pads. Really cool, really dirty, pretty dangerous.)

Ive got one or three of them..... note, on a 6k rpm grinder you must use a 3-5" rettainer disk on BOTH sides of the buffin wheel, they do explode and the red or yellow cutting wheels will cut the h377 outa your arms when it happens.....i can show ya how its dun, just gimme a 6k, yella wheel and a green stick an look out....sandin is only required for deep deep pits, asid wash/brighten first and the buffer will smooth it all out, youd be supprised how much alum you can move with cloth @6k....accurides are easier to polish than alcoas, id high speed em for ya for $15 a wheel Dunc....my old prices were $15 a wheel, $25 a tank...

On edit, the true pro shops in socal use high volume air grinders at 2500-4000rpm... my man Vic Caliva in Montebello does more alum polishin than any shop i know of that way....

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think he would regret $15 per rim....they are rough.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
My birthday is coming up and I need tires. Hint hint... :wasntme:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts