Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Yet another project... 71 F600

Fellro

Staff member
Picked up a 71 F600 grain truck today for $650. Looks a bit rough, but runs and drives quite nicely. Odometer says 9000, I'm sure it is more like 109000 judging from the rust and damage to the grain box. Happen to have another grain box from a truck my late uncle flipped and twisted the frame on the truck, but not the box. Pics when I get a chance...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hard to pass up anything at $650. Safe to assume this will be a farm truck?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Pics or :ban:

Fellro

Staff member
I have pics, time is the issue... After having taken the time to go do the deal, and drive it home at a top speed of 45-50, ended up being a late night getting home after studying and homework. The craigs list ad is still up... http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2101032807.html

The plan is to use it for grain and such, as well as rock, some scrap and whatever else we need it for. It will have to be brought up to my standards a bit though, as I don't tolerate the choke cable stuck, the blower fan not working, many lights out and the like. Plus we do have to go through inspection for medium duty trucks. It isn't too far gone in that respect, just have a few things to do to make me happy. Time will tell if I ever build it up nice again, not a priority for now. Have to see if a friend of mine still has the old Ford bus he used to have, see about stripping it in favor of this truck, be nice to have a backup power train, not to mention the first and second gears are grind only for shifting.Probably do a fluid change and such to get a baseline on everything, check the clutch out and all that.

Last edited:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Looks cool!

Fellro

Staff member
F6003.jpg

F6002.jpg

F6001.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
Sure do. I noticed that right away. I was actually surprised with the amount of rust elsewhere the cab floors are in good shape. It even has the factory radio still in it.

I bought new, a '72 F600. It had a 6k front end, a 330 C.I. engine, a New Process 4 sp. transmission, and a 15.5k 2 sp. rear end. Mine also had Budd wheels as opposed to the Dayton's yours has. It was upfitted with a 7wx9L/4yd sidex5yd gate Heil dump bed w/2 12" sideboards stacked.

DesPeresExcavating.jpg

Dump931.jpg

As time went on, I hauled less and towed more to the point that I wound up with a 20 ton tandem axle float with air brakes, and putting air on the truck to accommodate same.

When the engine jumped time while going down the highway and because it had well in excess of 100,000 dump truck miles, I replaced it with a complete w/clutch, bell housing, 4 bbl carb, water pump, brand new 391 crate engine. That was soon to be followed by a 22k Eaton 2 sp. rear end, a 9k front, and a 5k series Spicer transmission. The upgraded axles were Dayton and came with wheels, so the stock 8.25x20 rubber was replaced with 10.00x20's. I wish I had been a picture taker at the time....

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I still like them pants Brad. smilietease

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
I actually am searching for some of the Budd wheels, need them for a hay trailer we have. It currently has center split rims... trying to get normal splits at least.

Fellro

Staff member
That would sure be a long drive back... Sure is a nice rig though!

Ford Truck Articles