Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Will the Check Engine Light reset itself

I have a 2001 Escape that threw a code for the IAC after running rough. I replaced the IAC and the engine runs and idles smoothly. After driving the car a few times the CEL has not reset itself. I can clear it with my scanner but would like for it to clear on its own. My daughter will be leaving to go back to school tomorrow and I would rather not clear the code just to have it reappear 200 miles from home.

Does anyone know a specific number of drive cycles the Escape needs to clear the code on its own?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've always understood it was 20 drive cycles.

Fellro

Staff member
Personally, I would rather clear and have it return than wonder if it is truly fixed. Without clearing it, you really don't know, and also don't know if something else is popping up. I always clear it, and deal with it if it should come back on.

Thanks guys. I have been told it will go off in 3 drive cycles but it did not. I had about 8 drive cycles without it clearing. I cleared it and have driven 3 or 4 days without it returning.

One thing about this site is I always know I will get an accurate and professional answer.

Thanks again.

Ford Truck Articles