Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wife's Explorer

ACarbone624

I Love My Ford Truck!
My wife called me at work yesterday saying the brakes are grinding. I just did the brakes last year. I test drove it and going slowly if you just touch the pedal, the rear wheels lock. Not sure if the fronts are. Its almost like the ABS isn't working. It only does it going forward, in reverse they don't grab like that. What do you guys think?

1994 Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 4x4

EDIT: I checked the fuses and relays, everything seems to be ok there.

What brand were the brake pads and where did you buy them? \

Mom bought some for her minivan at auto zone. Supposedly top of their line ones too. They have made a grinding sound from day one. Dad and I pulled the wheels and checked shortly thereafter and still do it every so many months. No damage....just extremely annoying. :headbang:

She will never buy pads at that place again!

ACarbone624

I Love My Ford Truck!
I'll have to dig up my reciepts.....My wife said this happened all at once, not gradually....and now the ABS light is coming on.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
My wife called me at work yesterday saying the brakes are grinding. I just did the brakes last year. I test drove it and going slowly if you just touch the pedal, the rear wheels lock. Not sure if the fronts are. Its almost like the ABS isn't working. It only does it going forward, in reverse they don't grab like that. What do you guys think?

1994 Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 4x4

EDIT: I checked the fuses and relays, everything seems to be ok there.

The explorer's are kind of known for false abs activation, the front sensors usually get rust buildup under them making the airgap larger, at slow speeds it has trouble reading them, you can remove the sensors and clean under them usually fixes that. Are the rear brakes drum or disc?

I would pull the drums and check for any fluid leaking (axle seal, wheel cylinders) fluid on the shoes or broken hardware can cause the rears to lock up instantly. Often broken hardware will lock in one direction but not the other.

dude you are a rare breed, I have been reading your posts and if no one here knows, not many techs that I know would spend the time you do helping people. so for what it is worth here is a big thank you from me. cause there only so much a parts guys knows and can answer and I'm glad you are here to answer questions. rep points for you.

THANK YOU

Ed

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts