Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wife's Explorer

ACarbone624

I Love My Ford Truck!
My wife called me at work yesterday saying the brakes are grinding. :headbang: I just did the brakes last year. I test drove it and going slowly if you just touch the pedal, the rear wheels lock. Not sure if the fronts are. Its almost like the ABS isn't working. It only does it going forward, in reverse they don't grab like that. What do you guys think?

1994 Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 4x4

EDIT: I checked the fuses and relays, everything seems to be ok there.

The rear brakes are drums on this.. no? If so you need to make sure the shoes are installed properly. The shoe with less friction material on it goes to the front of the vehicle. There's not much difference in the shoes so they are easy to mix up if you don't know to look for this, but it does make a difference.. experienced this myself.

andym

Real men are fanatics
We can only guess at what the problem is. Best thing to do is take it apart and inspect the brakes. It's not impossible for it to need new front brakes if you have a stuck caliper and it wore the pads down on one side.

ACarbone624

I Love My Ford Truck!
I finally got a chance to take a look at it. The rear shoes I put on last summer were cracked and falling apart. :headbang: No wonder they were grabbing so badly.

I replaced them and its all fixed. Thanks guys! smiliegitrdone

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts