Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

wierd no start issue

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
ive had this problem before. ive fixed it before and dont know how.

Basically starter clicks when i try to start. jumped it across solenoid, and its the starter clicking. when i was home over christmas it did the same thing, starter was good everything was good. Removed the starter sanded down where it mounts to the block etc, checkd connections. stiill wouldnt start and then hours later it magiclaly started.

any suggestions?

i think its bad ju ju, ive been looking at new trucks so its pissed off at me!

edit: i just tried starting it again. wheni jammed the brakes to make sure it wasnt that. everything in the truck reset. kinda like the brake lights drew way to much juice. Same thing happened when i truned on the headlights. yet stereo and windshield wiper doesnt do it!

Last edited:

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
skanster, do you have the diagram of the starting system for my truck

96 f150 2wed 302? id like to track this down before i get pissed...well to late.

Im going to snag some CRC from work and clean everything out. maybe that will work!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Removed the starter sanded down where it mounts to the block etc, checkd connections. stiill wouldnt start and then hours later it magiclaly started.

Is it possible one of your battery cables itself is bad? Like corroded internally under the insulation- so cleaning the ends doesn't solve the problem, but moving it just the right way might make contact again?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is it possible one of your battery cables itself is bad? Like corroded internally under the insulation- so cleaning the ends doesn't solve the problem, but moving it just the right way might make contact again?

Had that same exact problem in Thunder (and my my mom's van). However, on thunder the contacts looked good, but once I pulled back the insulation, it was nothing but white/green corrosion for 3-4". Tried cleaning it...got a little better, cut away some of the cable, better yet...but the cable was getting too short, so I just replaced with new...and the problem went away.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Anthony I'm up at my moms until Sunday so I don't have access to my diagrams until then, sorry bud.

My vote is for corroded cables. I had the exact same problem with my truck. You couldn't SEE the corrosion on the cables and posts but moving them around and wire brushing them normally remedied the problem, but it would come back soon after. I finally got some battery terminal cleaner and sprayed it on there -- fizzles and dissolves all the invisible corrosion. Then reattached my battery cables and sprayed the purple battery terminal sealer on it and I've never had problems since. You might wanna check into that.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anthony I'm up at my moms until Sunday.

Is this a good time to ask if you were a good boy and picked up your Legos?

I always put grease on em to seal em up.

I've read a few places that Vaseline works better than dielectric grease...can't remember why, but I switched and haven't had any corrosion problems since.

radialarm

Clown of Death!

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
hey now cat uses vasoline on any fluid seals, they call it valve lube...

the problem is, everybody is going out of town this time off because its 5 days, so i swiped some CRC from work. and tommorow im gonna attack it and then see when my buddy comes back if he can give me a jump

my vote would be a bad connection on the battery or somewhere in between-it may be a bad wire ? I had the original terminals on mine and one broke -no start! looked fine till you look really close-good luck A_G

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
well i just tried, and no working.

cleaned all connections that i could get to. i sprayed randomly under the truck hoping i was hitting the starter, because i cant actually get under the truck. its sitting in 8 inches of ice, even tho im skinny enough i cant fit past the frame rail.

Now the battery is just dead.

the whole underside of the truck is just caked in snow ad ice. so im thinking. propane heater, for a hour or two and jump?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Battery is dead, meaning you tested it and it showed nearly 0 volts? Did you remove your battery cables and wire brush them?

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
no like the dash lights dont even come on anymore, ive tried starting it so many times that it dont even have enough juice to throw the solenoid.

yes i cleaned it all.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
got it going, the clamps on the battery where junk. Replacing them here in a min, as soon as my feat unthaw.

started shoveling the driveway, half way the 5 foot drift and a dude on a front end loader honked and took it with 3 swipes. i was happy.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Glad you found your problem...but what was so wrong with them that make them junk...and why didn't you notice before?

Bet you're reeeeeeeal glad that front end loader came by, huh?

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
where the wires clamped in (yes clamp in style) where corroaded under the black tape. i thought i got em clean but it just wasnt connecting all the way.

Went out and got new wires, but i cant even reach where the negative goes. and the postive is hella long so, im just gonna clean the **** out of it with some actually cleaner, throw some covers over the onnections, seal em up. and throw em new ones back one.

basicall i overlooked it, becaue i didnt think that was the problem i thought it was the starter.

I also went and bought a battery charger.

yea i was, weather or not he came by i had to get it done. so i could get he truck in the garage to work on it, i was to afraid to shut it off, so it was running on the side of the road. got inside, shut it off, wouldnt restart. found out got the wrong crap spent another hour screwing with it so i oculd go back to oriellys. now im back again.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts