Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

wheel spacers on 96 f250

putting wheel spacers on a 250 to make it have dauls , how weak are they and any draw backs, want to put a flat bed on and don't want my truck lookin' all rednecky and don't want to get rid of it love it need to post some pics lwb ex-cab 460 cid auto and paid for but the best part of all of it is it's a FORD!! But let me know what ya'll (I'm from the south) think

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
My buddy's old truck had a set...they were aluminum and I can tell ya he put that thing through hell before he swapped it to a SRW with a regular bed. Just note that it is an awesome idea to put neverseize on the original bolt studs and face of the drums if you ever decide to take them off......they are a major MAJOR PITA!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I don't think I would trust it with real work..

Fellro

Staff member
For actual load carrying, I wouldn't do it. The extra stress it throws on the outer bearing will tear them up. It is kind of like taking a lever and constantly applying pressure sideways on the rim....

Fellro

Staff member
but by using the spacer on a hub that is not designed for dual rims, you do put pressure on the bearings.The dually axle is wider to accommodate the negative offset of the inner rim.

My landscaper added duals to his 77 F-250 HD, but he had a flat rack instead of a box on his truck. Used 8 bolt dished dually wheels with longer studs. Ran over 100K mi like that hauling dirt, rocks, mulch no problems ever.
Now in the wrecking yard by me there's a 90 or 91 F-250 for parts that has what I call the J C Whitney dually kit with spacers and 2 extra wheels and fiberglass add on fenders. Had a 5th wheel in it and am told guy had 70hp? bulldozer on the trailer and was going over railroad crossing at speed and BANG there went the box side, wheels, brake drum and the axle housing back to the backing plate. That was before it jacknifed on him. 73K mi
I took that as if dually for show JC Whitney kit ok, Dually for use like is ment do the replace axle, wheels modify box add fender way, IE no spacers.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts