Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What's bthe difference 351W

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
I'm thinking of buying a '80 Flareside with a 351w. I had the same truck with a 302, but just canm't get a hold of the new owner to buy it back. So, the potential new one has a carbed 351 Windsor. What's your thoughts of this engine? What's the difference, if any, besides being built in a different factory?

The engine is backed by a auto trans. The owner claims 1st and 2nd gear are virtually the same. Its been like that since he had it.

Tyl

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
351w is a good motor in my personal expierence, i have been very happy about with it, i am power hungry which would explain my wanting to swap in a 460. As far as the trans, something isn't right there. What trans is it?
It makes more power than the 302 obviously, i think it is a better truck motor than the 302 was. Just my personal oppinion.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The engines are basically brothers. The 351w has a 0.5" longer stroke giving the motor more torque.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
Chances are, he can't tell it is actually shifting. 1st is usually done by 15MPH, unless you are stomping on it. Most people can't tell it is shifting unless you are paying close attention. It may be as simple as the downshift rod is disconnected.

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
This is what was said;

IT HAS PS.PB. BUT NO TILT OR CRUISE. IT'S BEEN ABOUT 7-8 YEARS SINCE THE BODY WAS DONE SO IT HAS A COUPLE OF SMALL BUBBLES ON THE BOTTOM OF THE DOORS AND A RUST PATCH (APPROX. 3''X3'') ABOVE THE WINDSHIELD THAT WILL NEED ATTENTION SOON,REAR FENDERS ARE FIBERGLASS AND FRONT FENDERS ARE NEW, DRIVERS SIDE POWER WINDOW WILL COME OFF THE TRACK IF YOU PUT IT ALL THE WAY DOWN AND PASSENGER SIDE MOVES SLOWER ON WAY UP,DOES NOT BURN OIL BUT LEAKS SOME FROM REAR MAIN.IT HAS A B&M SHIFTER ON THE FLOOR & THE TRANNY COULD USE SOME WORK AS THERES NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 1st. 2nd. & DRIVE HOWEVER IT'S BEEN THAT WAY SINCE I'V OWNED IT AND I'V TAKEN IT TO MY COTTAGE A FEW TIMES (250 KM EACH WAY) IT HAS A NEW GAS TANK BUT YOU HAVE TO FILL IT SLOW AS IT'S NOT LETTING OUT ENOUGH AIR WHICH I BELIEVE IS JUST A VALVE IN THE FILLER PIPE.I HAVE A NEW TRUCK AND JUST DRIVE THIS IN THE SUMMER AND JUST DONT HAVE THE TIME FOR A HOBBY TRUCK ANYMORE.RIGHT NOW IT'S TARPED IN MY DRIVEWAY

Sorry for the caps.

Tyl

Difference between 302 and 351W?

351W has a taller deck @ 9.5" while the 302 has a 8.2" deck...

Larger diameter crank journals, wider intake manifold, oil pan is different, and the head bolts on a 351W are 1/2" while they are 7/16" on the 302.

PS+ Many guys will run 302 (usually GT-40/P) heads on the 351W, just have the heads machined to accept the 1/2" bolts.

351W is superior to the 302 IMO.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
That dont make a differnce in how long the motors gonna last. What does make a differnce is how good ya keep up the matinence on it. The cranks on those two are balanced by the flywheel which has a wieght welded to it in a certain spot like a wheel wieght. The only differnce a longer stroke makes is it wont wind up as fast. 1/2 an inch aint enough to do that though. Thats why 302s and 351s like the upper RPMs so much. Take for example my 410 in my truck its got a stroke of 3.98 inches where a 302 is 3" and a 351 is 3 and a half. My 302 in my 85 will wind up to 5000 in a heartbeat where my 410 dont like it much over 3500.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
so lawn mower engine should last forever, by that theroy?
I understand your young and still learning, but your statement is not true...
Not trying to be an dick about it by anymeans.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
The 300 I6 is a GREAT motor, true work horse, stroke length is what will affect torque...

But overall durability of the motor, not so much...
The 300 is a great motor, but very durable, the 302 is a better car motor better for cruising. Not so much the work horse of the 300...

The stroke lenght wont affect durability of a motor... 300's last for ever this is true.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
My 351 had 150k and ran like a champ, no leaks no problems at all.
It sucked water at 5k... Gave up on life...
It gets bad mileage compared to the 302 yes...
I do belive that is what PB is referring too.

I still dont understand how longer strok will affect engine life, makes no since.

Fellro

Staff member
Only thing that comes to mind is the rod angles, short rods tend to try to rock the pistons more, through more rapid angle changes. Longer stroke + shorter rods + more rapid changes. Shorter stroke, longer rods make for more gradual changes.

Only thing that comes to mind is the rod angles, short rods tend to try to rock the pistons more, through more rapid angle changes. Longer stroke + shorter rods + more rapid changes. Shorter stroke, longer rods make for more gradual changes.

Sorry, but "rod angles" have been proven to be a myth..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts