Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What size tires??

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
Hey guys I am new to the forum (I am mikes cousin, 95bronk) and i just bought a 94 f150 4x4 5.0l (very happy!!) well I am planning on putting new tires on it as soon as i get it and i was just wondering what size i should go with 31's or 33's. I really want the 33's so i can get a 15x10 rims and that way they will stick out more, but 95 bronk is telling me that it would give me horriable gas mileage and i dont even kno if they would fit stock (not buying a lift for about a year probably) ...so idk what to do, what is your opinion???

welcome - two questions that I assume will matter...
what's your gear ratio?
mostly city or highway driving?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have ran 31x10.50's on a stock F150 4x4 before and I think thats about as big as possible without clearance issues.

Welcome aboard!

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
welcome - two questions that I assume will matter...
what's your gear ratio?
mostly city or highway driving?

sorry dont kno the gear ratio yet(dont have the truck in my possetion) and mostly city driving!!

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
im running 33/12.5/15 BF goodrich all terrains and suspension wise, there is no issues. although i do lose some turning ability(frame rubbing on the inside of the tires on tight turns.)

Michigan
X2 on the clearance issues. Ive heard of ppl having to trim bumpers and crap like that. He lives in the city to.

Michigan
Fords4life WAAAAAASSSSSSSS thinking about buying a chevy or dodge! DOH!!! hahah sorry justin WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!

smiliegitrdone :wavey:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
General rule is that 33's fit on 4x4's and 31's fit on rear wheel drive...

I'll tell you a great size that looks 'mean' and gives these trucks a good stance is the 265/75/r15 when you get some agressive all-terrain tires.

Ryan

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
thanks Ryan ill have to look into that!! :)

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I had a '93 F150 4X4- 5.0, 4EOD, 3.55's. It was good advice- 33's will make for some horrific gas mileage, but I do believe they'll clear (barely).

Oh- and welcome! :wavey:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
My truck in sig got 12-13mpg with 33 inch tires and 3.55 gears. Food for thought ;)

I think you'll be hard pressed to squeeze in 33s without being real irritated by rubbing, etc. Even with my 4" lift (more like 2" - 2.5" in the front) mine still rub OCCASIONALLY. But I'm pretty sure they will bolt to the truck without modification -- my buddy did it on his stock 93 Bronco.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
My truck in sig got 12-13mpg with 33 inch tires and 3.55 gears. Food for thought ;)

I think you'll be hard pressed to squeeze in 33s without being real irritated by rubbing, etc. Even with my 4" lift (more like 2" - 2.5" in the front) mine still rub OCCASIONALLY. But I'm pretty sure they will bolt to the truck without modification -- my buddy did it on his stock 93 Bronco.

smilieIagree Mine got 13-15 in town, 17-18 hwy w/ 31's and those 3.55's.

Michigan
My last average was 16.25 MPG with my bronco and 31's, Im damn happy bout that! that was country driving so long roads and about 56 mph with cruise on.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Everything I've read says that 32s are the biggest you can generally run on a '92-96 half ton ford truck, 33's will rub either the fender or the bumper (I'd guess them both). My '93 is sitting on 32s and they had half inch of clearance on both the bumper and fenders...

The only half ton that, on average, in this series of trucks to fit 33s stock is the 80-86 line and I know this because my '84 bronco is sitting on 33s but they do rub the radius arms at full lock on both sides...

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
looks to me like I am going to be running some 31's!!!! Thanks for all your input guys!!

Michigan
Yea i looked at a bronco with 33's and the radius arms on the inside was down to bare metal and the inside tread was GONE.

Michigan
Beware of skank the FTF post whore! lol :p

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts