Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What *IS* this thing?

andym

Real men are fanatics
I have always wondered what the metal rod is that's been under the hood of every Ford truck I've owned.

It's bent in two places at 90* and there are clips under the hood to store it. Never found a use for it.

Pics:

stored under the hood

On the floor of my garage

Somebody please fill me in on this great mystery of life. :)

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
its the stock jack thing.. it fits in it and you turn it to rais or lower the stock jack

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
smiliewhathesaid smiliewhathesaid smiliewhathesaid smiliewhathesaid smiliewhathesaid

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hahahhahahahhhahahahh!!

Andy for being such a smart guy you sure can be DENSE sometimes :rofl2:

Ryan's right. It's for cranking the bottle jack up and down-- the one that comes with the truck. Should be stored above the passenger fender well.

it's a pec&er control device for libs. should you turn right the clips break lose and throw stuff under your left tire.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Hahahhahahahhhahahahh!!

Ryan's right. It's for cranking the bottle jack up and down-- the one that comes with the truck. Should be stored above the passenger fender well.

No it's not, dumbass. The end of the tire iron is what you're supposed to use with the bottle jack. Have you ever seen someone standing 6 feet away from their truck, trying to jack it up with the end of a long metal rod?

But then what should I expect from someone who can't calculate 0-60 times without his iphone. :rolleyes:

andym

Real men are fanatics
I have changed tires with the stock jack before. A 6 foot metal rod that I could bend in half by stepping on it isn't part of the equation. The end of the tire iron fits much better into the jack and no doubt works a lot better.

Trust me - it is NOT for use with the jack.

it's for the jack - try it. I used it 2 weeks ago. Standing back from the boat was wonderful instead of being on the ground next to it

Edit: it goes in at an angle and almost locks into the jack. It's way easier than using the tire iron

Last edited:

jjlogue3

Kansas Chapter Leader
Kansas
Same here!!!! It is definately for the jack. It will also lower the tire down from under the truck in it's storage area.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah Andy it's for the jack. I've used it several times. It's plenty sturdy and you don't have to lay under the truck with a tire iron.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Hahahhahahahhhahahahh!!

Whether it's for the jack or not, I cannot possibly explain how PISSED OFF I get every time I read this post.

*&^&* you chris.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba

why did you call me ryan ? :suspicious:

why did you call me ryan ? :suspicious:

I'm sure it wasn't on purpose.........there's only 1 O'Rattleban and we know it's not you GR. He's not an entirely bad guy.............just a bit misdirected.:wavey:
Sorry R!!!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
lowers the spare tire down and can be used with the jack also.

Not on his truck

Its a safety .
.Its so you can be way back and crank truck up off ground. I have used it 100's of times and never bent 1. I even used this to level up a house trailer once

All the 90's trucks I had the lug wrenchwould not fit in jack .

It is for the jack. It is easy to crank it while standing up away from the vehicle.

The ones in the explorers fold in half in the middle. With it half way open...the end (in the middle if that makes any sense) is for lowering the spare down from underneath the vehicle.

The jack handle is for removing hub caps (or center caps like my explorer has) and removing the lug nuts. Yes...you can use it for cranking the jack, but I will not lay under a vehicle while jacking it up.

Go read the owners manual on your truck. I bet it will give you the proper instructions.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
It's a hippie stick. It's used to keep unwanted Chris' at bay. :p

For that you wanna be careful, it might bend if you hit him too hard! Then they are a PITA to get put back in those stupid clips!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts