Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What did you do to your Dent today

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Ordered U-joints for the front drive shaft. Both are getting pretty sloppy. There seems to be quite a bit of slop in the slip yoke, also. I hope replacing the joints will solve some of that problem. I got Dana/Spicer joints from Rock Auto for $9.40 each. I paid $18.00 for the same joints for the rear drive shaft from the local screw-the-pooch auto parts store.

Ordered U-joints for the front drive shaft. Both are getting pretty sloppy. There seems to be quite a bit of slop in the slip yoke, also. I hope replacing the joints will solve some of that problem. I got Dana/Spicer joints from Rock Auto for $9.40 each. I paid $18.00 for the same joints for the rear drive shaft from the local screw-the-pooch auto parts store.

screw the pooch.....:drop: 'hiding_smilie' :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Heard a ticking noise, when driving with the hubs in the other day. Methinks it is time for axle shaft ujoints now. ARGHHH!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Went out today and started mine and let it run for about 25 minutes and ran the heater to take the dampness out. smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

Need to do that to mine soon....damn cold weather.

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You guys realize that getting it all hot and then letting it get cold produces more condensation right?

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Ken,

I go out to where I have my Dent stored about every two to three weeks, and start my Dent and let it run for about 20 to 30 minutes, and run the heater for about five to ten minutes to take out the dampness, but you don't want to do it when it's bitter cold out. Wish spring and salt free roads would hurry and get here, , so we all could break out our Dents and go cruisin' and car shows with em.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
You guys realize that getting it all hot and then letting it get cold produces more condensation right?

Condensation in the engine? Everywhere? I know I've heard this before on here, but are you suggesting it's better to let it sit all winter as opposed to starting it up every 3 or 4 weeks or so?

Ken,

I go out to where I have my Dent stored about every two to three weeks, and start my Dent and let it run for about 20 to 30 minutes, and run the heater for about five to ten minutes to take out the dampness, but you don't want to do it when it's bitter cold out. Wish spring and salt free roads would hurry and get here, , so we all could break out our Dents and go cruisin' and car shows with em.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

One of the things in life that really lifts me up for sure is when it's time to pull these rigs out and start driving them again.

And yes on the bitter cold thing, probably cause of what Duncan says about condensation? The only problem with that is that there's a period of 60 days or so where it rarely gets above single digits and always gets to zero or below at night.....think I should let it sit during this period?

I ike to get the gas moving a little. Don't want the carbs gumming up.
As long as it gets up to normal operating temps for 5-10 minutes, it should burn off the condensation.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I ike to get the gas moving a little. Don't want the carbs gumming up.
As long as it gets up to normal operating temps for 5-10 minutes, it should burn off the condensation.

Thanks Mark....even in sub zero temps? My rigs are garaged, just not in a heated garage.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Thanks Mark, I let mine for about 20 to 30 minutes, so mine runs for about 10 to 20 minutes at its normal operating temperature, I agree with you on keeping the gas moving , as to not let the carb get gummed up. You might want to consider using Stabil in your fuel, I have dual tanks on mine although my tanks are both 20 gallons I buy enough Stabil to treat 80 gallons and I split it between the two tanks, and I was told that it doesn't hurt to overdose the Stabil in the fuel.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

When I first got my truck, I had the metal rear tank out for some reason . I cleaned and dried the inside before I put it back in, then dropped a bag of dessiccant on a string into it.
I've only used the ABS front tank. The rear tank will never rust this way.:)

I think I'll put a new bag in.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Went down to the forest today for much needed R&R. Snow was about 8" deep. Started hearing a rattling noise from the engine right before I got to where I was going. I shut off the engine, lifted the hood to look around, found nothing. I tried to start the engine, and I all I got was the whirring sound of the starter. It sounded like the bendix was not engaging.

I got out the hammer and crawled underneath the truck to tap the bendix, and the whole starter moved. The upper bolt that holds the starter in place was gone and the lower bolt was hanging by about 3 threads(That's what 60 miles of washboard road will do.

I tightened up the lower bolt as tight as I could get it, and the engine started! Thank Gawd. I didn't really want to spend the night in the forest.

On the way back home, I got run off the road by a member of the local population. It took me 45 minutes to dig my way out of the ditch(deep snow).

Walked past mine 3 times today...1st trip past I thought "I should just sell it and be done". 2nd trip past I thought "I need to make a list of what needs done to sell it"'. 3rd trip past I stopped and stared and thought "can't wait to get it going so I can sell my other truck"! It's going back into the shop Tuesday to wire up the motor, and begin rebuilding the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts