Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

weirdest damn trans leak ever

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
So I work out of town. I get a phone call today that my truck sprang a leak. It's been sitting for about 3.5 weeks now. This is the 3rd time it's done it. The truck sits about 3 weeks then pukes a quart of atf. It doesnt leak anything if i drive it. What gives? Why does it take 3 weeks to puke it out? Im soooo lost

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Easy. Thats gremlins.

Set a trap.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I had a Chevy Caprice like that once. Turned out to be the top gasket in the trans, not the pan gasket. Only leaked when it sat for awhile and enough fluid ran down to seep out of the upper gasket. When you drove it every day, never happened.

I've heard people talk about A/T leaking oil after sitting. Didn't hear the reason for it though.
My guess would be one of the seals is starting to dry out and shrink. Then swells up during use.

Fellro

Staff member
I used to have troubles with the old cork trans pan gaskets leaking when it would sit, but not when it was kept on the rod regularly.

I've heard people talk about A/T leaking oil after sitting. Didn't hear the reason for it though.
My guess would be one of the seals is starting to dry out and shrink. Then swells up during use.

Thats my thoughts also.
Motor homes are bad about this if they arent driven every now & then.:)

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
First I heard of this. I have never had that problem, even after my AOD was rebuilt before I got rid of it.

the T/C seal on my C6 leaked a nice size puddle on the floor over the winter months, as my truck sits in storage.. This was a brand new seal with maybe 200 miles on it. I was pretty ticked off, thinking I'd have to pull the transmission again.. Got it home in spring, and since then it's never leaked a drop..... Something about it sitting all winter.. Must be the vast temperature differences it saw over the winter.

Derek.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts