Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

warped rotors

I just get the ones from Napa. The gold ones, not the cheaper ones. The difference is only like $20....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Personally, I'm a fan of O'Reilly's top shelf parts. But I usually buy parts from JBG.

Personally, I'm a fan of O'Reilly's top shelf parts. But I usually buy parts from JBG.

We dont have O'Reillys. We have a Napa and a Kragen. The people at Kragen are inane, and the people at Napa I am on a first name basis with so thats usually where I go.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Kragen is now owned by O'Rielleys. I bought Motorcraft rotors when I did mine and Ive been very happy with them. Lot of miles on them now and no warping nor squealing. And good braking power too.

Kragen is now owned by O'Rielleys. I bought Motorcraft rotors when I did mine and Ive been very happy with them. Lot of miles on them now and no warping nor squealing. And good braking power too.

Cool, I didnt know that. :)

Motorcraft is good stuff, but then you have to go through the dealer, and its more $$$$.

Trucker_Eric

Mechanically Inclined
i get whatever is cheapest at autozone, really, you cant go wrong with rotors, i mean, some suck but i never look at brands. nowadays, you gotta get cheap cuz the expesive ones are, well, expensive, and quality is not really an issue with rotors, well,a t least its never been for me. i mean, i change the rotors, what? every 50k miles? i never had one warp on me before.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Cool, I didnt know that. :)

Motorcraft is good stuff, but then you have to go through the dealer, and its more $$$$.
I bought mine at rockauto. Andy told me that since they were shipped to me they probably got warped during shipping and that I should get them turned before I installed them (he used to work at a brake shop). I took them to les schwab to have them turned and they treated me like an idiot, asking "why would you turn brand new rotors?"

"My buddy said they probably got warped from shipping..."

So they turned them and the guy came out of the shopping looking like he had seen a ghost. Said "I couldn't believe it... They were so warped that I had to turn them to the point where they won't be able to be turned ever again. You were right..."

My face --> :D

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
i get whatever is cheapest at autozone, really, you cant go wrong with rotors, i mean, some suck but i never look at brands. nowadays, you gotta get cheap cuz the expesive ones are, well, expensive, and quality is not really an issue with rotors, well,a t least its never been for me. i mean, i change the rotors, what? every 50k miles? i never had one warp on me before.
I disagree, especially when it comes to brake components. It's one of the most vital systems on the car so I want to ensure that it'll always hold up to what I throw at it. Different rotors are constructed differently and made of different materials. Cheaper rotors might not be able to dissipate heat very well and so coming down a hill with a 7k boat behind my truck could create some BIG problems.

I bought mine at rockauto. Andy told me that since they were shipped to me they probably got warped during shipping and that I should get them turned before I installed them (he used to work at a brake shop). I took them to les schwab to have them turned and they treated me like an idiot, asking "why would you turn brand new rotors?"

"My buddy said they probably got warped from shipping..."

So they turned them and the guy came out of the shopping looking like he had seen a ghost. Said "I couldn't believe it... They were so warped that I had to turn them to the point where they won't be able to be turned ever again. You were right..."

My face --> :D
How can shipping warp a rotor. I do agree with having the new rotors turned though.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Not sure... This was just what Andy told me. Perhaps I misunderstood what he said, but I didn't question it since he was more of an expert than me.

I'm no expert either ,but I would think the new rotor warping would be from over heating at the factory. They probably over heat them when they turn them,which I would think is a much faster process then at a local garage.

LP's warp in shipping:rofl: remember them ?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...don't mean to hijack the thread...but someone threw out a 50k mileage number on rotor life...isn't that EXTREEEEEEEEEEMELY low? Shoot...I usually get 60-80k outta my pads alone. I've only put one set of rotors on Thunder in 220,000+ miles...and that's seen loads in excess of 23,000 lbs on several ocassions. The only other set of rotors I've replaced was on Mom's Dodge van at around 160k. Now pardon my ignorance, but I thought the sign of bad rotors were pulsating brakes, shimmies, visual inspection and the like? I also check their temps with a laser thermometer from time to time to make sure one isn't catching. So if there's something else I need to look for, please inform me.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I think the most important things to watch for are warping and wearing through the surface of the rotor if they've been turned too many times. If you start to see stripes on the surface of the rotor then you're wearing through to where the vents are.

This is obviously an extreme case but you get the idea.
brake_rotor_worn.jpg

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
NFL get the drilled/slotted ones, I have yet to hear anything about them for our trucks and been itchin to try em........I'm ticked cause my last set of pads didn't last 15k, I've gotta buy new ones and change em out next week. They weren't the cheapies either.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I put all new brake parts on that 76 includin pad rotors and calipers. I didnt have any problems with the rotors bein warped. I got em from Napa. Only problem I had was the pads I got were super thick and they wouldnt let the wheel turn with everything bein new so I had to get some skinnier pads for it then I didnt have a problem.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I even clean up (turn ) factory ones . I have then now and had to Take off right away and turn. But I can take as little as needed. Where the auto parts u may as well toss em after ward.

Alls it take is one drop . They r not shipped in big container like used to . Heck I seen em in back ups van loose boxes in stacks.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Alright...don't mean to hijack the thread...but someone threw out a 50k mileage number on rotor life...isn't that EXTREEEEEEEEEEMELY low? Shoot...I usually get 60-80k outta my pads alone. I've only put one set of rotors on Thunder in 220,000+ miles...and that's seen loads in excess of 23,000 lbs on several ocassions. The only other set of rotors I've replaced was on Mom's Dodge van at around 160k. Now pardon my ignorance, but I thought the sign of bad rotors were pulsating brakes, shimmies, visual inspection and the like? I also check their temps with a laser thermometer from time to time to make sure one isn't catching. So if there's something else I need to look for, please inform me.

Nope I have a 99 malibu I work on .And this guy is best driver i know . Will eat pads in 12000 miles .

I have repair records all way back to 86 .On f150s About 40- 45000 is average for redo . As for rotors about 70000 - 100000 miles before problems .

We have 20 F150 -F350 F450 F550 at work and all r lucky to get 30000 on new pads . And the 06 up f150s eat rear rotors .All work is done at dealer as we r part owner

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles