Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

VSS..

Does anyone have a VSS for a 5.0 with the E4OD/8.8? I think it is the cause of my transmission problem..

Tranny likes to neutral out when going into third, and also shift late into seccond.. its shifted early into 3rd or OD at onepoint too...

Ive heard it could be the Manual Lever Position Sensor as well.. dont know how to test these things...

and for the reccord, the lights on the shift lever is NOT flashing

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Does anyone have a VSS for a 5.0 with the E4OD/8.8? I think it is the cause of my transmission problem..

Tranny likes to neutral out when going into third, and also shift late into seccond.. its shifted early into 3rd or OD at onepoint too...

Ive heard it could be the Manual Lever Position Sensor as well.. dont know how to test these things...

Those are the EXACT symptoms mine had when the speed sensor went out. I believe your diagnosis is on the right track. I got my sensor from the local parts dealer and, if memory serves, the price was around $40.

Ryan

This could be caused by a whole lot of things Brian. Could even be a TPS. Have you tried pulling the codes?

lol.. how can i get codes?

NeXtras said:

the other night it actually DOWNshifted way to early, made the CEL come on for a seccond too.. guessing it picked up a misfire, havent gotten around to getting that code yet

wanna lend me the money? lol..

im not looking to do drastic things to it, its a daily driver, im saving for a Fox body as we speak, already have a motor for one

thats the thing about Stangs, there the most unpredictable cars

Those are the EXACT symptoms mine had when the speed sensor went out. I believe your diagnosis is on the right track. I got my sensor from the local parts dealer and, if memory serves, the price was around $40.

Ryan

OK, update, trannys been VERY weird today.. hasnt been going into gears right at all.. threw a CEL as well.. if the cen came on, i would go up to neutral, shur it down, start it.. as soon as i put it back into drive the CEL came back on.. needless to say, i have a VSS on its way now.. 16 bucks..

Ive been told my tranny may be gone or something.. also was told i need a new valve body cause i have muliple valve sticking..

i plan to just start with the cheap and simple.. O'Rattlecan, its good to know someone else has had the same symptoms.. gunna give it a whirl

ok, i still havent gotten a VSS, but heres a thing im noticeing.. it seems to happen once the truck is heated up.. mainly after ive been on the highway for more than 10 mins..

from a stop, i can manualy put it in first, manually put it in second when its time for third, go to "D" and it neutrals out, bangs into gear once i let off the gas.. it was downshifting on its own last night too.. say im going 35, it downshited to second, could feal it lurch and hear the backfiring

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
That really, really, really sounds like the VSS. When you get your part in, you'll find out for sure but those symptoms sound identical to my speed sensor woes.

Usually failure is caused by moisture getting into the wiring harness. When you install your new speed sensor, put a bead of silicon around the wire harness when you plug it in.

Ryan

Was shifting wayyy to early last night too, from first to third?? lol

Its just weird, i drove fomr Saugus to Beverly.. 10 miles or so, OFF the highway, only did the weird thing once, but when i took the highway home, it did it as soon as i got off the highway.. guess ill have to wait and see

i need a quick answer.. the sensor im about to replace is in the DIFFERENIAL, is this the correct one???

i think i might go ahead and replace the MLPS too

Not to sound too simplistic, but have you had a tranny flush any time recently? if not, you need to.

Not to sound too simplistic, but have you had a tranny flush any time recently? if not, you need to.

yes i have, i will again too..

put the sensor in the diff.. did a mis shift once.. im going to disconnect the battery in a few to see if i can clear the computer, may or may not do anything

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts