Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Visor keeps whacking you in the head?

andym

Real men are fanatics
This drove me NUTS for a long time, and I finally found a way to fix it. My sun visors have been loose since I bought both my truck and my Bronco. Every time I'm using them and I go around a corner, I get whacked in the head.

So I went to the junkyard and found an F-150 with a red interior. I took the visor snaps out of the headliner, and drilled two holes in my truck's headliner. 10 minute job, and now I have something keeping the visor in place when I have it on the window side.

I've only been meaning to do this for about a year now...

smiliegitrdone

ahh...never thought of that

added that to my to-do list, along with a second clothes-hook

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
This drove me NUTS for a long time, and I finally found a way to fix it. My sun visors have been loose since I bought both my truck and my Bronco. Every time I'm using them and I go around a corner, I get whacked in the head.

So I went to the junkyard and found an F-150 with a red interior. I took the visor snaps out of the headliner, and drilled two holes in my truck's headliner. 10 minute job, and now I have something keeping the visor in place when I have it on the window side.

I've only been meaning to do this for about a year now...

smiliegitrdone
DUDE THATS BRILLIANT!!! I was thinking about using velcro but your idea is SO much better!!!

EDIT: Damn you for quoting that in your sig!!!

Last edited:
Michigan
I had a 85 F150 exploder eddition and my visors would so the same thing. Got so mad i just ripped the passengers side off, and took the drivers side off and put them behind the seat. I miss my brown bomber.... Woulda been a good daily driver.. Ghetto ass truck lol i wish i had pictures!

andym, nice one. both on the idea and the jab to skand. i have that head rack console thing so i never had this problem but if i was 6'2 instead of 6'1 i might not be able to see under the thing. i thought it was weird when i got the truck but now i like it. i can put stuff up there. glad you're not getting wacked in the head anymore andy!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Great idea. Rep points for you .

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Maybe they're different or closer to your head on those models but I know that if my visor fell it wouldn't be hitting me in the head. And I'm 6'3, lol.

andym

Real men are fanatics
If the sun is coming from my left, I move the visor so it blocks the sun from the side. When it's on the side, there's nothing stopping it from swinging around and hitting me if it's loose. Thus the extra snap. :)

Thanks for the rep point everyone.... I had 1008 when I got booted from the other site. I got a long way to go!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Maybe they're different or closer to your head on those models but I know that if my visor fell it wouldn't be hitting me in the head. And I'm 6'3, lol.
He's talking about if you pull the visor down and flip it to the side (towards the driverside window), and then you make a left hand turn the visor swings back towards the front windshield and smacks you on the side of your head.

EDIT: Crap Andy beat me... YOU'VE DOUBLE CROSSED ME FOR THE LAST TIME EVIL DOER!!!

Last edited:
Interesting. You have a pic of the part you installed?

I have the double visors in the explorer (even had the garage door thing and a recorder in it). Those have no issues, but the 56 has visors out of something (the PO didn't write it down) and they annoy me like yours.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've got double visors too. Normally what I do is put the main visor towards the driverside window and then put the 2nd visor HALFWAY down to brace the big one in place and keep it from flying around. Doesn't always work out so well though...

I've got double visors too. Normally what I do is put the main visor towards the driverside window and then put the 2nd visor HALFWAY down to brace the big one in place and keep it from flying around. Doesn't always work out so well though...

Mine has never moved in the explorer.

I have no clue what the ones in the 56 came out of though. Whatever it was..they are old.

100_0234.jpg

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
If you take the visor out by removing the screws in the mount, there should be a spring, washer, and nut on the end of the shaft where it's bent to turn up in the mount (which is what let's it pivot to the window). Tighten the nut a little, and bingo, no more swinging visor. Mine have NEVER had a problem staying exactly where I put them.

If you take the visor out by removing the screws in the mount, there should be a spring, washer, and nut on the end of the shaft where it's bent to turn up in the mount (which is what let's it pivot to the window). Tighten the nut a little, and bingo, no more swinging visor. Mine have NEVER had a problem staying exactly where I put them.

That is good to know. I have never taken one out of a vehicle.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts