Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Using Raptor technoolgy on my 2009 f150

I drooled over the Raptor at the dealership... it was 45 k sticker..

Then I got real and bought a new 2009 F150 4 x 4 regular cab s/b , 6 speed, v8 3v, 3.73 LS, tow package, xl plus package, etc. with exactly the option package I wanted... it came in at about 25k before tax and license

So... those of you that are Raptor fans (love those running boards).. I noticed the King Shocks... I assume those can work on the rest of the tamer F 150s... what are some of the other suspension technology stuff that is bolt on?

thanks

notme

PS.. The F600 4 x 4 fire engine resto is coming along.... pics and updates to follow

Great man! :D

I happen to be a big fan of Raptors. :p (checks username)

:post pics:

Yes.. I think Bilsteins are great as well... but if one is going to mod a truck its nice to use what Ford has already "thunk" out... I believe if Bilsteins had worked better they would have used them... (they certainly would have been cheaper).. Ford SVO could have used anything.. they had a blank canvas

Kevsha

hackin' 'n' whackin'
the raptor has that 45k sticker price for many reasons asside from just big tires, and a lift. i recently had the opportunity to drive one at the dealer i used to work ar, they got 2 identical black ones in.

not the least of the reasons is the body work, it doesn't have just fender flares stuck on, the fensers and the bed itself are wider than a standard 150 by a pretty substantial amount.

the shocks the raptor use are billet alluminum fox racing shocks with external reseviours. i don't know if ther are availible purchace outside of ford in that size, they also have SVT machined into them. the exhaust is a bit beefer to.

but a leveling kit and some decent shocks is a nice launching platform.

Yes.. I think Bilsteins are great as well... but if one is going to mod a truck its nice to use what Ford has already "thunk" out... I believe if Bilsteins had worked better they would have used them... (they certainly would have been cheaper).. Ford SVO could have used anything.. they had a blank canvas

You have to think of cost too. They went with nice shocks but they didn't just pick the nicest ones they could find. They still have to meet a pricing point that they are given by the accounting/marketing departments and they picked whatever was the best for the given price that they had to meet. Sure, the Raptor is a very nice truck with very nice components but that doesn't mean it has the best components you can buy. Bilsteins are just as good as the shocks that come on the Raptor, if you buy the nice, comparable Bilsteins (whatever they are).

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
not the least of the reasons is the body work, it doesn't have just fender flares stuck on, the fensers and the bed itself are wider than a standard 150 by a pretty substantial amount.

6inches, I believe?

I read somewhere, it's required to have the side marker lights like duallys have, cause it's so wide! smilieFordlogo

I went with Bilstein 5100s adjustables ,,Ill use the 1 inch height adjustment.. then a set of moto 18 inch flat black wheels..
I think Im going to black out the chrome bumpers since there isnt any other chrome on the truck..
Im very happy with this truck..other than I overdrive the brakes all the time... but Im doing a conversion to high quality sport rotors and green pads so that will help

Who has fender flares they really like.. mine came without any..other than the mudguards I put on..
thanks

notme

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
If you want the prerunner look like the raptor, go with prerunner fenders...

Also, it will cost you more to build your 09 so it can compete with the raptor....

If you want it to LOOK like a raptor then your on the right track. Ish.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just so you know-- the Raptor is more than just easy bolt-ons... Ford completely re-engineered the suspension, amongst other things, on the Raptor.

Pulling from this article, couple big differences:
-Soft rear springs that give 12.1" suspension travel
-Rear axle widened by 6.6"
-Berlin-eye leaves to reduce rear axle migration
-Shackles located outside frame instead of under--for ground clearance
-Fox shocks-- remote-reservoir, inverted damper, internal fluid bypass

-"Moving on to the front, we find a double-wishbone suspension with a high-mount upper arm (white) and a massive aluminum lower control arm. Both are longer than those found in a standard F-150 to help produce that 6.6-inch track width increase." ***This is a big one***
-Coilovers

Just so you know-- the Raptor is more than just easy bolt-ons... Ford completely re-engineered the suspension, amongst other things, on the Raptor.

Pulling from this article, couple big differences:
-Soft rear springs that give 12.1" suspension travel
-Rear axle widened by 6.6"
-Berlin-eye leaves to reduce rear axle migration
-Shackles located outside frame instead of under--for ground clearance
-Fox shocks-- remote-reservoir, inverted damper, internal fluid bypass

-"Moving on to the front, we find a double-wishbone suspension with a high-mount upper arm (white) and a massive aluminum lower control arm. Both are longer than those found in a standard F-150 to help produce that 6.6-inch track width increase." ***This is a big one***
-Coilovers

nice.. but I know that would violate my warranty.. ford parts or not

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just letting you know-- it'll be hard to make your truck exactly like a Raptor.

I saw you just make another trip to the dealer.... And take tons of pics when you get home :D

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'm a bit late to the party,but if you're on the rich side,and can be on the computer everyday,you might wanna watch a wrecked vehicle auction site like Copart.I'm sure there's some rich idiots out there gettin Raptors from mommy and daddy and then rollin them.You might be able to get parts from a wrecked one,just as long as you have the funds to beat out all the other Raptor fans.

I honestly hate them,and don't see why they're so popular,but then again I firmly believe in building my own vehicles,not buying them.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts