Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Urgent help needed, fuel overflowing from rear tank

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I have never used the rear tank as the fuel pump is bad..

But the valve has gone bad and I'm overflowing gas out the rear tank..

What's the name of the valve and process of replacement?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Tank selector valve I think... Never replaced one on that gen truck...

Maybe you could just eliminate it for now and hook directly to your front tank?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm not seeing a fuel selector valve listed on the Rock Auto website for that generation truck.??????????

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Since its a race truck, would it be better to fix the rear tank and eliminate the front tank? Would that work better or worse for weight distribution on launch?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I know you DD it, I worded that wrong. I know its not a strictly track truck, but I was just wondering which one would help you out when you do race it.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Hook up an external electric pump to the rear tank and pump it back into the front tank. Then pull it to replace the pump.

Ill be pulling the bed an replacing both pumps...

But for now I used my fuel transfer pump and pumped the rear tank out into my 55 gallon barrel for used oil etc..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech

Fellro

Staff member
For weight transfer at the track, the rear tank is best.

As to the fuel transfer issue, you will have to change the lines from dual to dedicated. Best way to do such would be to cut the steel lines and make a splice. It has been a while since I saw the original lines from the 92, so I don't recall how they tee'd off. I still have the original lines, so I can look at them.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Your truck should have a valve on the framerail. They get sticky and and won't let fuel return to the correct tank. Had the same problem on my 95.

Ford Truck Articles