Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

unstick my stuck ebrake

the truck has been sitting for a couple of years with the ebrake on and now its stuck how can i get it un-stuck

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Stick your head under the truck and have someone press and release the ebrake to see where it's getting hung up, could be 1 of a few different issues. Problem could be in the brake pedal, could be in the cables somewhere, and could also be in the drums themselves. Watch under the truck to see what moves when someone releases the brake, that should point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
My guess is in the drums.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Cables are prob all frozen. Get some PB and spray into the lines. And do what Chris said. See whats the prob 1st.

andym

Real men are fanatics
If you can't get them unstuck, you'll need to cut the cables right behind the drums. That will pop them free.

i finally got my ebrake unstuck

i pulled the wheel off and took a 2x2 between the lugs and mini sledge and worked on it back and forth and it finally came unstuck, i got lucky

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
If you can't get them unstuck, you'll need to cut the cables right behind the drums. That will pop them free.
I wouldn't recommend cutting those e-brake cables, even as a last resort.

They are as obsolete as a Beta system, and very expensive...that is IF you're lucky enough to find them.

Fellro

Staff member

BKW

Ford Parts Guru

Fellro

Staff member
I looked it up as a 71 F100, and that is what came out. I got a couple sets now for 80's trucks as well.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I looked it up as a 71 F100, and that is what came out. I got a couple sets now for 80's trucks as well.
On t'other site, someone bought those autozone cables, they didn't fit worth a damn.

I looked up the correct FoMoCo cables, and found them at greensalescompany.com

I've not looked up any of the 1980's cables (recently), so I don't know if Ford still has them available.

Fellro

Staff member
I don't know about that, but they worked fine on an 84 and 86. I know AZ stuff isn't the greatest, but if it is a choice between not working and working, they would be better than nothing. If AZ has them , then O'Reilly's and the other box stores likely do also.

That site would be more useful to the rest of us if they could do a search by application rather than part number, since not all of us have the info you have available. I can appreciate original parts quality and all, but the price is the next question.

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Obsolite???
They r a common problem here in PA for even newer rides . And the 60-70 r still on road . The local Auto parts chain I deal with has em. I checked. So u should be Find em . Good luck

Last edited:
it was the 88 that had the ebrake problem not the 71. when i went to the parts store to get my ebrake cable for the 71 they just asked me to choose between a steel cable and a sturdy plastic looking one. but they had both in stock for both trucks. no problem findin them thanks though,and thank you Advanced Auto Parts smilietease

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts