Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Truck sputters at higher speeds

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Have you checked fuel pressure at the rail? I had a fuel pressure regulator go bad on me once. It's right behind the upper intake plenum and looks like a UFO.

Ryan

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Have you checked fuel pressure at the rail? I had a fuel pressure regulator go bad on me once. It's right behind the upper intake plenum and looks like a UFO.
Ryan

Yes I did Chris. No change.

Ian, I checked the fuel pressure at the rail again tonight and it's still reading fine, so I'm assuming the filter isn't plugged. Also, I forgot to mention-

There is a new development. The truck is having this problem most of the time now. But, I can shut it off, re start it immediately and it will run fine for a few miles. This is why I believe it's electrical.

UM Ryan?! Hello?! LOL

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
My work truck.
97 F250 (old body style) 5.8, 5 speed.

Coming back from a 140 mile trek earlier today, I started having a problem with my truck. I was running along about 80 and it started sputtering like it was shutting off, or running out of gas. I backed down to 70 and it straightened up for about a mile, then did it again. I slowed down even further, finally getting to between 55 and 60 before it would run without sputtering out.

I continued on at that speed to get it home. Other than the higher speed sputtering, I did notice that when accelerating, it doesn't really have any response past half throttle.

I pulled codes (weird, this truck has the old style connector, OBD I?)

KOEO test gave me a 33. (EGR valve not opening or not seated)

Engine running gave me a 538 (insufficient RPM change during dynamic response test)

Before I pulled the codes, I was thinking that maybe the fuel filter needed changed, so I was going to try that. Now that I see it has thrown codes, where do you think I should start? Any input?

maybe a fuel pump going bad?? this would be good to have 2 pumps and when it starts to sputter to change tank and see if it stops

about that 33 code.. my other F250 had that code since forever and i didnt have probs with it.. when mine was sputtering it was the fuel regulator... or the fuel pump..

Last edited:
Wrong truck Aaron. This one is stock, efi. My work truck. 97 F250, 5.8, 5 speed.

'smiliedoh'

If it was a carb and standard ignition, it would be fixed right now. :D
Everybody says efi is superior, you can just pull codes and it will tell you what is wrong. BS. There are no codes. Give me a carb any day.

Do I see a carb in the furure???

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I see some double ought buckshot in its future. :eek:

Had it put on the machine again. Still no codes, and the live info is showing no problems. It has me stumped. It does it without fail now. If you push the accelerator more than 1/4 of the way down, it acts like it has no power, then starts bucking bad.

I did notice that the coolant temp sending unit looks like it is suffering from a meltdown. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it, but it should probably be replaced regardless.

I looked on the fenderwell of my silver truck and it still has it's TFI module intact, so I'm going to plug that one in and see if it makes a difference. A buddy of mine has a junk truck that has it's map still in place, so I'll try it as well. At this point, I'm just guessing. Did I miss anything obvious?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I'm glad I'm not the only one here that prefers simple.

Vince, who in their right mind would want to become a tech? :D

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'm glad I'm not the only one here that prefers simple.

Vince, who in their right mind would want to become a tech? :D
Gotta have a strong back and a weak mind! Shutting it off and immediately starting it, and it runs fine, tells me electronic issue (hardware problems--fuel pump, fuel, etc. would always be doing it generally). Why dont you try the one I've got in my bay now........runs fine, park it on an incline with the pass side down, it wont start. 08 f450 6.4 diesel. Fuel is aerated, bleed the air out, its ok (until the pass side is lower)

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Thats simple Vince. Put Doc in the drivers seat. The extra weight will raise the other side of the truck sufficiently enough to make it run proper. :D

blacksnapon

Staff member
Vince is there a breather line that maybe letting air into the tank?
Does it do it when full or half tank or less?

I am curious as to what the fix is...
I have inherited this one (the other guy gave up). The fuel system is pressurized, and has a return. Somewhere the air is getting sucked into the system. I have to find out if its getting air into the low pressure side or the high pressure side.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Thats simple Vince. Put Doc in the drivers seat. The extra weight will raise the other side of the truck sufficiently enough to make it run proper. :D

HAHA Focker! My fix is just put more air in the FR tire and lower the others! Fixed! LOL

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
HAHA Focker! My fix is just put more air in the FR tire and lower the others! Fixed! LOL
I vote for the six inch lift and 35's on the passenger side and leave the drivers side stock. :p

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
a simple 2 barrel holley would be good for daily driver :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts