Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

trouble filling gas tank

my 88 f150 recently ran out of gas i went to put gas in it with a gas can and it wasnt going into the tank like it should. its it was just filling up the filler tube until it overflowed, i waited a couple of seconds and it was like it burped itself and the gas in the filler neck slowly went down, i did it a couple of times and got tired of messing with it. i still havent got it to a gas station to see if filling up with pump gas has been affected in any way. is this unheard of or am i another lucky contestant on "Guess Whats Wrong Now"

blacksnapon

Staff member
Is there anything pinching off the smaller hose on the filler neck? Thats a vent to help prevent the "burping".

could there maybe, by some strange chance be a screen to block particles from entering the tank that just happened to get clogged up now

could there be a anti siphon flap thing in there that would move under the pressure of pump gas but may not move when using a gas can?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
U can siphon out of these easy I do it to fill mower all time . I have put gas in before with small can . And it was fun. I do not think the nozle goes in far enough on the cans. .

i dont know what it was with the gas can but i got the truck to the gas station and had no problem putting gas in it

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
That's weird. I've had no problems filling mine with a gas can.

Oh, and I wasn't sure whether ours had that screen or not.. that's why I put "newer". Was just a thought. :)

Was the can itself vented? These newer EPA compliant cans are a pain to use. The old style cans had a little "button" that you would unsnap to let air in to displace the gas that was going out of the can.The newer cans don't have that.

andym

Real men are fanatics
I'd about sell my soul for a decent gas can that a human being can actually use in this stupid state.

andym

Real men are fanatics
There's a spring loaded slide on the nozzle that you have to pull down in order for anything to come out. Holding the thing open makes it really hard to control the flow of gas. I've spilled more with it than with any other type, but it's supposed to prevent gas vapor from entering the air.

Stupid eco-hippie morons. :)

ameritaz3038

New York Chapter Leader
i wedge them open with an old key and have no problems pouring in my truck when needed.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
There's a spring loaded slide on the nozzle that you have to pull down in order for anything to come out. Holding the thing open makes it really hard to control the flow of gas. I've spilled more with it than with any other type, but it's supposed to prevent gas vapor from entering the air.

Stupid eco-hippie morons. :)
Holy crap I think we've got some of those! The previous owners of our house left them with us since they left the tractor. I agree, I've spilled a lot of diesel tryin' to use those dumb things to pour diesel into the tractor.

Fellro

Staff member
Is there anything pinching off the smaller hose on the filler neck? Thats a vent to help prevent the "burping".
During the build time of these trucks, they had the vent hose INSIDE the fill neck.. I intend on reworking that sometime when I get a chance... In the meantime, there is a rollover valve on the top of the tank, check the hose from it to make sure it didn't get pinched. Being a gasser, it should go to the carbon canister up front.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts