Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

transmision question?

I live in Mi, when we got 16inches of snow Wed. morning, i went our playing in it. I was driving around for a few hours in 4 wheel drive, in deep snow. Not doing anything crazy just cruising the back roads. After a while, the trans would not go into 1st or reverse. After sitting a few days, now it works, maybe even better then before.

Going back a little bit, I bought the truck in Late Nov, it had been sitting almost a year, and the thermostat was stuck open. I know the engine had some sludge from not getting up to opp. temp. could the trans have that too. Now it is finally cleaned out?

Anyway, my main question is, How do I now if I have a deep or shallow pan on my trans? I am changing the fluid and filter. thanks

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Most of the 4wd transmissions have a deeper pan for the larger fluid capacity associated with better cooling. Heat is, after all, the number one killer of the automatic transmission and everything needs to be done to keep it cool. Your previous issues were probably because of non-use in the truck's past as you already stated. Probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and change the fluid, filter and drain the torque converter. New fluid in the transfer case probably wouldn't hurt either.

Got all the trans fluid changed today. Shifts much sooner now. I did not think there was more then normal amount of gunk in the pan, but the fluid sure was dark. It shifts much earlier now too, might help the mileage little. The drain on the torque converter though...should that have any thread sealant on it? I used just a very little teflon tape.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
=rockyrunner99;439114 The drain on the torque converter though...should that have any thread sealant on it? I used just a very little teflon tape.

Not nessesary to use any sealer it is a tapered pipe plug, you also don't want to tighten all the way down just kind of snug.

Bring this one back. Should I put a trans cooler on my truck? I do not plan on doing any heavy towing. But I might use it to drag some stumps around our property. Just don't want to have any problems with it this summer. thanks

Fellro

Staff member
You won't heat it up enough using it like that. Towing is a sustained heat generating activity, while tugging and lugging stumps around the property won't make that much heat in comparison.

Ford Truck Articles