Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trans Problem..

Michigan
I have a 97 F350 psd 4x4 E4od. Trans decided to go out a couple of months ago so i had it rebuilt.. Got it all back together took it for a test drive.. When shifting 1st to second and about 2200 rpms it would rubber band into second.. Second to third it shifted VERY VERY VERY Hard.. I put it in reverse to back up and it felt like i was pushing a school bus with the rear bumper while pulling a semi truck.. With in 8 miles it was fried.. Pulled it back out and had them warrenty it..

They said 3 of the 4 (valves)? were stuck making it be in 2 gears at once.. Fried a brand new set of clutch packs..

Got it back yesterday and they said they replaced it all and it should be good.. I was very excited and put it in. Took it for a test drive and 1st to 2nd gear shifted flawlessly! i was amazed.. 2nd gear is where it stops.. I cant get 3rd at all, not even a hard shift into 3rd or anything. 3k rpms and it just stays there..

They want me to pull it again but theres no way im going through all this again when it should have been done right the first time..

So im wondering if anyone here has an idea of whats going on? It didnt shift hard so im assuming all my clutches are still ok, fluid aint burnt and theres no debris in it..

Id like to pull the pan and check everything out.. Also check out what he is talking about when he says the valves was sticking.. because to me thats what it sounds like its doing again..

Installed a new trans cooler and flushed the all the lines and cooler in the radiator twice, both times in a different direction..

Michigan
Truck is going up for sale after all this.. Dads 02 superduty just blew the HPOP lines right out of it.. 700 dollar pump. Now the 4R100 trans in that is totally shot. Explorer has a bad hub.. I think im done with ford..

Michigan
I need some diagrams.. Im going to drop the pan in the truck here in a little bit and see whats going on.. I found plenty of sites on how to check the solenoid packs on a 150 E4od but i think my trans has different style connectors.. I pulled codes and came up absolutely clear..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
you ever heard about the MLPS sensor on these E4OD's ?? chek that

and not going into 3rd is some kind of safety mode maybe some aftermarket chip you put on your truck could of fried something??

did you reset the ECM before taking a test drive?
the ecm thinks that the tranny is bad still becuase maybe it was throwing codes and its in safety mode

blacksnapon

Staff member
Cut and paste from the manual

Shift Concerns: No 2-3 Shift (Automatic) Possible Component Reference/Action
221 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
Powertrain Control System
Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harness, PCM, throttle position sensor, VSS, SS1, SS2
Run On-Board Diagnostics. Refer to 1997 PC/ED for 7.3L DI Diesel Engine or to 1996 PC/EDa for all other engines for diagnosis. Perform Pinpoint Test A using Transmission Tester and Cable and Overlay as outlined in this section. Repair/replace as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.

321 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Main Controls
Bolts not tightened to specification
Retighten bolts to specification.

Gaskets damaged
Inspect for damage and replace.

SS1 failure to operate in a normal manner
Refer to Electrical Routine No. 221.

Direct clutch accumulator regulator valve, 2-3 shift valve, springs — stuck, missing, damaged, misassembled
Inspect for damage. Repair/replace as required.

Air bleed for SS2 circuit damaged or missing
Inspect for damage. Replace case.

Improper components used in rebuild
Verify that proper components are used.

Center Support Assembly
Feedbolts missing, not tightened to specification
Inspect, install new feedbolts and tighten to specification.

Seal rings damaged
Inspect for damage. Replace as required.

Assembly damaged

Outside diameter or case bore damaged or leaking

Direct Clutch Assembly
Assembly
Air check clutch assembly as outlined in this section.

Stator support hub seals damaged

Seals, piston, cylinder damaged

Friction elements missing or damaged

Ball check missing, damaged

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
check the electrical connections on the right side of the trans.if bad, trans won't shift.

i vote solenoid pack

Truck is going up for sale after all this.. Dads 02 superduty just blew the HPOP lines right out of it.. 700 dollar pump. Now the 4R100 trans in that is totally shot. Explorer has a bad hub.. I think im done with ford..

jesus... you guys beat the HELL out of your rigs ay?

stay with Ford.. trust me... you know i got that 99 S10... nothing but problems... tell me how a cap and rotor go bad after sitting for 72 hours.. only Chitty (Chevy)
smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts