Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trans Advice.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I am going to the wreckers to look at transmissions for my truck. What do I need to look for to make sure I get a good one? I have a AOD in my truck now.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Personally, I wouldn't buy a used transmission unless I could drive the vehicle and see it is ok. I really think you are taking your chances Cliff, wouldn't it be best to rebuild the one you have?...that way you are only fixing it once.
I'm not trying to be negative, I've just not seen too many good things come from wrecking yard transmissions. Even if they offer warranty, the headache of R&R kinda sucks.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Duncan I wish I could afford to rebuild it. But finances won't allow it.

Cliff , I agree with Duncan. I know those yards give you a warranty but its probably for another used transmission and won't cover labor.
Who's to say that's not why the truck is in the scrap yard anyways.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Mark I realize that. But the wife doesn't start her new job for a couple of weeks. And this is the one truck she isn't giving me a hard time about. My small check doesn't cover the cost of a rebuild,and I don't have the tools to rebuild one myself. Which I don't know how to do.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I understand that Cliff, but I don't want to see you go buy a transmission, go to the time and trouble of doing an R&R only to find out that you have problems with that one. This guy makes some great videos for doing it yourself.
http://www.badshoeproductions.com/

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Like the others said Cliff its a crap shoot getting a good JY transmission.
You may luck out and get a good one but you may get worse than you have and there is no way to tell if it isn't in a running vehicle.
If you could find a individual parting out a truck you would have a better chance of getting a good one.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think I'd check the local truck boards. Figure a JY is probably gonna charge you anywhere from $2-400 and you don't know what you're going to get. On local boards, I see freebies, to a couple hundred for a usable trans. I know I've scrapped/given away good drivetrains before, just because I get sick of them being in my way. Probably won't find anything like that on CL, but I have no doubt a local forum could probably pull through if you put out a WTB ad and are patient.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
$137 wow that's cheap.
For that price I would gamble on it. Only out 2 hours swapping it for the one in there now.
If you have the time to do it yourself and don't mind doing it a few times till you get a good one I say go for it.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
$137 wow that's cheap.
For that price I would gamble on it. Only out 2 hours swapping it for the one in there now.
If you have the time to do it yourself and don't mind doing it a few times till you get a good one I say go for it.

That is what I was thinking,even if it lasted a short time it would give me time to rebuild my original trans.

Fellro

Staff member
Sad thing is, I have one from an 81 T-bird 302 that is sitting in storage... but for $137, I would give it a shot for sure. What to look for, metal flake ot gunk in general in the oil. If it looks like metal flake paint, walk away quickly. If the oil smells burned, looks like motor oil, walk away. Dark brown is old oil, but not the end of the world. If they will let you pull the pan, that would be the best. Chunks, no good. Lot of sediment, not good,some sediment is normal.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts