Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tranny slip

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea B&M Trick Shift fluid. My bad.

I have used lucas additive before in my 94 and 95

well considering theres a discrepency, ill stick with the Mercon III

well considering theres a discrepency, ill stick with the Mercon III
What transmission do you have?
If it is the E4OD it sounds like you have a bad shift sensor on the side of the transmission.

shift sensor = Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS)
Your are right that fluid would not cause this problem.

You have low oil pressure in the transmission because the transmission thinks you are in neutral (MLPS) or you have a bad pressure solenoid inside the transmission or wiring to it. Make sure the fluid level is on the full mark with the transmission in park and warm.

Do you have and CM codes for the transmission when you run the self-test?
You need to have a transmission tester put on it to see what is happening.

Last edited:
What transmission do you have?
If it is the E4OD it sounds like you have a bad shift sensor on the side of the transmission.

shift sensor = Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS)
Your are right that fluid would not cause this problem.

You have low oil pressure in the transmission because the transmission thinks you are in neutral (MLPS) or you have a bad pressure solenoid inside the transmission or wiring to it. Make sure the fluid level is on the full mark with the transmission in park and warm.

Do you have and CM codes for the transmission when you run the self-test?
You need to have a transmission tester put on it to see what is happening.

Im not a dummy lol, you check tranny fluid, in park warm and engine ON!

I would still guess its fluid one cause i trust skans opinions and 2 it acted up shortly after i used Mercon V...

Ill have to look into the MLPS.. i dont know why that would trip though...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Of course I can't guarantee that the merc V is your problem. But I've PERSONALLY heard more than one story of perfectly healthy transmissions doing exactly what yours is doing, about 5k miles after changing to merc V, so it seems like the most logical scenario to me.

yeh, i changed my tranny fluid to merv V at 188k and im now at 192k.. seems logical... transmission only has 40k on it since its been rebuilt... was rebuilt in 2003 which i believe at that time they were still using mercon III

I also emailed Motorcraft saying they may want to revise there compatibility chart

Im not a dummy lol, you check tranny fluid, in park warm and engine ON!

I would still guess its fluid one cause i trust skans opinions.
I am sorry that I posted in your thread then, I will not post in any of your threads in the future.

Skandocious please remove my post above.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I am sorry that I posted in your thread then, I will not post in any of your threads in the future.

I'd actually like to leave it up, if that's okay with you. It's very informative for people who might be searching for solutions in the future. If you really mean that, let me know and I'll take her down.

no no it was informative, never thought of that sensor... im just sayin, i know some of it as far as checking fluids etc, you just dont really know me thats all.

Do you think they will?

doubt it.. highly doubt it
Heres the reply to my first email

"Answer: Mercon V is compatible according to our records. You may need to check with your dealer for any additional problems."

Last edited:
no no it was informative, never thought of that sensor... im just sayin, i know some of it as far as checking fluids etc, you just dont really know me thats all.
When I post I try to cover all bases on the fluid level, not only for you but for a lot of the ones that are new to trucks and not even a member of this Forum and are looking for answers.

You did not seem to want to tell us what transmission you have and that would lead me to think that you might not know about the fluid level if you did not know your transmission type.

You have very common symptoms that happen when this sensor goes out.
The sensor was not made right for the E4OD transmission and Ford has a replacement with a fix in the box, there is some rewiring when you replace it.
If you have a 4R70W then you will not have this problem.

I do not want to get into the III vs V argument, as it seems to be a personal preference. Myself I like the V and use it in my 95 with no problems. I did have some problems with III but after switching to V they went away and I do pull big loads with my truck. I have the 4R70W in it.

I have the E4OD.. didnt say cause i know Skan knows and i knew he would be the first to reply lol

I do not know anything about the newer transmissions or the newer fluids they use.

However, I can tell you that just "warm" when checking the older ones is not good enough. I have seen the fluids continue to expand (from heat) up until around 20 miles of driving. I have seen them checked warm and be way over full after driving them a while.

Being overfull (on the older ones anyway), is just as bad as too low. It will foam the fluid when it gets up into the spinning parts. That lets air into where it should not be as the foamy fluid is pumped through the transmission.

Read the dipstick if there is any question on the later ones. It should say check "Hot", if it is like the older ones. I really have no clue what they later ones say.

I am not saying that has anything to do with the issue here. Just clarifying for anyone who is looking at this thread way in the future. :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Brian you are correct about overfilling, and it is just as serious in the newer transmissions. Overfilling, even by just a couple quarts, can bring serious damage to the transmission; blows seals.

And I can't recall if I've got it on mine, but some vehicles have "hot fill" marks on one side of the dipstick and lower "cold fill" marks on the opposite side. Something to check ;)

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts