Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

To Keep the 1994, or to tow the 1994?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. My temper kind of cooled on it, and I'm going to call a transmission shop tomorrow to see what they are willing to do.

Ryan

primetime

sawmill slave
Eh, I`d keep it. It`s paid for and doesn`t cost anything to sit there. That said, I`m sure the trans is fine. Like everybody said, you may have hurt the parking pawl, but unless the tires were skidding and then let loose, I wouldn`t worry about it.

Like Paul mentioned, it has a brake/shift interlock. And they need power to work. There is procedure in the owners manual to override it but I don`t know if it will work without the battery hooked up. Crawl under there with a flathead screw driver, pop the cable off, jam her into neutral and be on your way.

If it makes you feel any better, I was ready to shove my F-250 over a cliff earlier this evening.

Is the battery hooked up? Those transmissions need electric to shift out of park.
The brake (actually it's the brake lights that need to work) needs to be depressed to get it out of park.

I learned all of this the hard way on a Sunday eve. ON a boat launch ramp after blowing the brake light fuse because I left the trailer lights plugged in while retrieving the boat. Once the fuse was replaced, all was golden...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
That actually does shed a little light on it. Thanks, Brad. I would have been screwed either way without a battery.

Like I said, I'm going to have it towed to the trans shop and see what they can do for me. If I can build an engine cradle, I might ask them to drop that in there while they are going to all the trouble. I can finish and put the rest of the top end together if I can tow it home.

Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'll bet everything will work out and you will be driving it before long smilieFordlogo

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It's been sitting so long, when it's finally ready to go, I'm going to have to leave the fuel lines unhooked and let the fuel pumps clear out the nasty old gas.

Ryan

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Is the battery hooked up? Those transmissions need electric to shift out of park.
The brake (actually it's the brake lights that need to work) needs to be depressed to get it out of park.

I learned all of this the hard way on a Sunday eve. ON a boat launch ramp after blowing the brake light fuse because I left the trailer lights plugged in while retrieving the boat. Once the fuse was replaced, all was golden...

Mine will shift out of park with out battery Did today . I move trucks lots around yard just to mow ..

Good luck on finding a good shop . And let us know . Here if they pull more than pan they only want to rebuild

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I would jack up the rear of the truck first and mess with the linkages to see if you can get the trans out of park...

You could be shelling out extra coin for a transmission that bound it self up because its not bolted to the block or because a linkage got bound up with a bit of movement from the trans...

Just an idea, im more willing to spend an hour at least under a vehicle to try and save a few 100 bucks..

I would jack up the rear of the truck first and mess with the linkages to see if you can get the trans out of park...

You could be shelling out extra coin for a transmission that bound it self up because its not bolted to the block or because a linkage got bound up with a bit of movement from the trans...

Just an idea, im more willing to spend an hour at least under a vehicle to try and save a few 100 bucks..

Good idea !

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It was towed a couple weeks ago, and it's sitting at the shop. I haven't followed up because this is a low priority item right now, but I'm done fooling with it. I'll probably just advise them to put some more magic into the transmission and maybe drop the motor in while they're at it. I can have it towed back home to finish.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Update:

The transmission is rebuilt and I dropped off the motor at the transmission shop so it would be easier for them to reinstall the transmission to something. Time permitting, it shouldn't be that far from running condition. I need to put the top end of the motor back on (takes only an hour, maybe 2 if I'm drinking beer), get the cooling system back in.

There are a couple outstanding issues I wanted to address before I put the cooling stuff back in, including the under-hood wiring harness. The one I picked from the junkyard doesn't have cruise control and a couple of the headlight harnesses are gone (crap!!!). Installing a new junkyard one would be cleaner and easier at this point (assuming I can find a proper junkyard replacement with MAF).

Also I want to replace the head lamps so I have fresh clear lenses.

Lastly I need to purge the gas tanks (hook it up to 12v and just let the pumps run till it's dry) and then refill with new gas.

There are probably other nickel & dime things I need to do but I'll fix those later.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Of course I don't "need" cruise control. I don't "need" electronic lumbar, but I have it, and I like it. I want it to work.

Thanks Chris! The shop called, and the engine & transmission are reinstalled. I will go pick it up tomorrow.

Ryan

That's great you're keeping it Ryan - I know what you mean about keeping things working in vehicles too . My cc has just stopped working and even though I hardly use it the fact that it doesn't work really bugs me ....... just can't seem to get the time to fix it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
As a good friend once told me (on this forum :)), "One thing breaks, then another, then another. Pretty soon you're driving a piece of fecal."

The point is, keep up on maintenance and drive something nice, don't let things deteriorate.

Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That's a cool pic Ryan.

Ford Truck Articles