Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tire shine = hair gel?

i just bought some real tire shine the other day instead of just using the spray armor-all crap. first of all, wow - looks great.

but...i swear the stuff is just hair gel. it looks like, smells like it. i think it's a $9 bottle of the stuff i can get at target for $1.50. anyone ever tried it?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
i just bought some real tire shine the other day instead of just using the spray armor-all crap. first of all, wow - looks great.

but...i swear the stuff is just hair gel. it looks like, smells like it. i think it's a $9 bottle of the stuff i can get at target for $1.50. anyone ever tried it?
Hmm you know come to think about I think you right...
Check the ingredients...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hmm Not even their MSDS has any thing about whats in it..
Heck try some hair gel one some soft rubber and see what happens.

Hmm Not even their MSDS has any thing about whats in it..
Heck try some hair gel one some soft rubber and see what happens.
my wife needs new tires and i'm thinking before i ditch them in a few weeks i'm going to throw some hair gel on there and see if it works about the same.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I can hear it now.

Sorry honey, I didn't mean to use all your hair gel, but my tires needed shined. :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well if it is just hair gel...then us guys should have a never ending supply of Tire shine...ever seen "Something About Mary"smiliestirthepot

But seriously, I have no clue...I've never used the gel style tire shine. I always use the Meguiar's Hot Shine or NXT in an aerosol can.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Well if it is just hair gel...then us guys should have a never ending supply of Tire shine...ever seen "Something About Mary"smiliestirthepot

But seriously, I have no clue...I've never used the gel style tire shine. I always use the Meguiar's Hot Shine or NXT in an aerosol can.

Hey Ben - Nice to see you!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Ben - Nice to see you!

It's good to be posting again...just been super busy. BTW...I did the tech writeup so do with it as you need.

The Hot shine is the only way to go, and actually, unless your tires stay really clean(I live on a dirt road :D) the Hot Shine foam is even better. It'll actually clean your tires, and it sticks better to.

Gabe

lmao, yea Tex, its the only way to go :p

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
anyone tried it yet?

Black150

California Chapter member
So Cal
I've tried the foam, works great. But i prefer dressing tires with an applicator to avoid overspray. Plus there's more user control.

Ford Truck Articles