Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Timing

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hahahahha, a sledgehammer mechanic eh?

In short-- the SPOUT (or, Spark Output) is just a piece of wire molded inside a piece of plastic that completes the circuit between the ICM (ignition control module) and the PCM (powertrain control module). The reason you need to pull the spout to time the engine is because the PCM is programmed to dynamically advance the timing depending on throttle position, engine load, oxygen content, etc. If you leave the SPOUT connected while timing (with a timing gun) then you won't be setting the BASE timing, you're setting a timing that could potentially already be altered by the PCM.

I'm trying to find the official FORD description in my repair manual but I'm not sure if they have one. I'll keep looking.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I can't find a description of the SPOUT. But here's the official Ford procedure for setting the timing YelloThumbUp

Procedure ³

´
³ 1. Place transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL, A/C and heater in OFF position. ³

´
³ 2. Connect an inductive timing light, Rotunda 059-00006 or equivalent. ³

´
³ 3. Disconnect the single wire in-line SPOUT connector or remove the shorting bar from the double ³
³ wire SPOUT connector. ³

´
³ 4. Start the engine and allow it to warm up to operating temperature. To set timing correctly, a ³
³ remote starter should not be used. Use the ignition key only to start the vehicle. Disconnecting ³
³ the start wire at the starter relay will cause ICM to revert to start mode timing after the ³
³ vehicle is started. Reconnecting the start wire after the vehicle is running will not correct ³
³ the timing. ³

´
³ 5. With engine at timing rpm if specified, check/adjust initial timing to specification. ³

´
³ 6. Reconnect single wire in-line SPOUT connector or reinstall the shorting bar on the double ³
³ wire SPOUT connector. Check timing advance while varying engine speed to verify distributor is ³
³ advancing beyond the initial setting. If it is not, refer to Section 2A, Quick Test. ³

´
³ 7. Remove test instruments.

Michigan
Whats that post for? I know how to set the timing on my truck, now tell me why it runs like crap when i set my timing the correct way.

andym

Real men are fanatics
He's explaining to JR what the spout connector does and why it needs to be removed when setting the base timing.

Someone on your ignore list? :)

Michigan
No jr aint on my ignore list. People will start being put on it if my threads keep on getting hijacked....

Michigan
yes same with mine. And im sure you know how to time your truck also.

People will start being put on it if my threads keep on getting hijacked....
in skan's defense (i assume his post on setting your timing is what ur talking about)

even if you didn't ask about setting timing, a few lines of instruction in a post called "timing" doesn't hurt anyone. most of my posts i try to thing about future searches, and having a pretty complete timing discussion in a "timing" thread doesn't hurt.

yes, your question still needs to be answered, but there's more to consider. i think most of us got a ANY forum from searching about something, and i'd be willing to bet whatever you searched for wasn't exactly what the original question of the poster was asking. i'm not saying every post should contain instructions on how to rebuild an engine, but a "how-to-timing" article isn't killing anyone.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah Mike the only reason I posted it was because I happened upon it while search for the official definition for the SPOUT connector, and I thought it would be a good asset to the forum to have the OFFICIAL Ford timing procedure, and this thread seemed like the best place to put it (see title) :rofl:

A hijacked thread involves off-topic posts, seemed to me that a timing procedure was on topic and that it would benefit anyone who searches the forums for timing procedures, as Tom stated. If you want the post removed, let me know and its gone. But lets try to keep the temper down, we're just trying to help buddy.

Michigan
Im just having problems with the ability for people to help me out on the problems i am having with my truck timing wise. To me i think of the post of how to time a truck a shot in the foot to me. But il go else where for these questions.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have had similar problems timing rebuilt motors. My theory is that the ring on the balancer showing the marks had slipped on the ones I was doing. I forget, what all have you done to this engine?

blacksnapon

Staff member
You might have a harmonic balancer with the outsides that have slipped around, changing where the marks are in relation to the keyway. I've seen the keyway slot wear on the balancer, creating somewhat of the same situation.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts