Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Timing

Michigan
How the heck do you time these trucks?

I sanded the marks on the harmonic balancer and all i see is number 10's. Whats up with that?

I attempted to time it a couple of days ago going by the factory marker on the balancer and it ran like crap when i had it at that mark. So i just timed it by ear and feel.

YES I DISCONNECTED THE SPOUT CONNECTER WHILE TIMING!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Number 10's? Not sure what you're talking about...

There should be something like BTC 20...10...0...10...20 ATC

Put a mark on the 10 BTC and throw the light on it.

Last edited:
Michigan
Its hard to read because everything is old and faded. Let me try to figure it out.

Michigan
ok there is a 0 and 3 10's (in the order of) 10 10 0 10 <-just like how i posted. What do i do from there?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
That makes no sense to me... But if it really says that, put your mark on the 2nd 10, that should be 10* BTC. Though you might want to check which side it BTC and which is ATC... I could have it backwards, I don't have my truck here to look at it.

Michigan
Il just mark both 10's see what one it runs better on right?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just thinking about it... With the way the engine rotates, the scale should be:

ATC 20...10...0...10...20 BTC

So you want the 10 on the RIGHT side.

Michigan
Yea i looked more into it and saw 10 20 then BTC. I went the other way because i marked both 10's and it woudl almost stall, went to the other 10 and it ran good. Before i started and i just timed it by ear, well i marked the distributor on the block. I timed it by ear and feel EXACTLY 10 BTC lol.

At least i know now its right where it needs to be for a piece of mind. O and i went up one mark :)

Michigan
Truck runs good but has a little roughness at an idle. Not sure if its because its breaking in or what. New plugs wires cap and rotor so that should be good. Its not as bad as what my old motor use to be, along with the hunting idle. This one stays right at a certain idle.

The truck sounds totally different, no more pinging like my last, and it has alot more of a deeper grunt to it. Drown in the cab is annoying tho..

Thanks for the help chris.

Michigan
Do the PCM's of these trucks have to learn an idle? It seams likes its idling pretty rough.

Michigan
Ok i havent drove it much or let it idle. Maby il take it for a drive tonight.

Michigan
Motor update. I have about 350 miles on it so far. Timed to 10 BTC. Well i checked all the plugs, wires and everything. She idles pretty choppy, Sorta like a miss, but the tach doesnt fluctuate. I drove about 40 miles and checked codes, no new codes when i ran the KOER and KOEO test. Any ideas?

She seams to be running a tad to rich. I dont have any EGR or Smog stuff anymore.

Michigan
Also when i put it in gear it doesnt idle rough anymore, runs great, some pretty good power.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
When i finally put my top end back together and timed it I also put a new DR timing chain on it and put the number 1 at TDC then dropped the rotor in at that position when i dropped the dizzy in.Now, i tried timing mine with the spout connector removed but every time i timed it by ear got it sounding good then plugged it back in my truck was a dog...i eventually timed it with the spout connector plugged in and it has abeen that way since then....not a dog that's for sure but i do need to get it with a timing light.

Michigan
Same exact thing here! I do it the right way and it dogs like hell after i plug the spout back in. Now when i time it by ear (Which is not that far from where it should be) It runs like it should. WTF?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
smilietease Not a clue but i do know when it's unplugged and i time my truck it runs like crap...that's the rhyme to my reason and that's all i needa know......hippie!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts