Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

this may be a silly question

I've got an 08 ranger small six
when i bought it a guy warned me not to unhook the battery with out an auxiliary power source plugged into the lighter.
I'm getting ready to change the battery, any one heard of this before.
This is the first 4 wheel vehicle I've owned with a computer, two of my bikes do and they couldn't care less if the battery is in or not.
But their computers aren't very sophisticated.
thanks tap

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I wouldn't hesitate to unhook the battery in my '09 Ranger if I had a reason to do so.

You'll lose your radio presets and clock settings- that's probably the only thing you'll notice.

Computer might lose some data (though not immediately- it takes a little while), but it'll figure it out again pretty seamlessly over a few drive cycles.

Fellro

Staff member
That is for security systems. If you unhook the battery, the security will lock up and not allow restart or other not so fun things. Only had an issue with it once in a while at the store. We did have one, just a little 9 volt battery in it. You plug it into the cigarette lighter/accessory plug and it back feeds the computer.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'll tell you from experience that you won't have any issues with the battery unhooked. Like Ian said, it usually takes a drive cycle for any data that was lost (if any) to be put back into place. The only issue you'll have is figuring out how to reset the clock. :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts