Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Surprise!

blacksnapon

Staff member
I was in the process of doing a head gasket job on an 05 6.0, had the cab up, pulling them heavy heads, look up, and my field service rep is standing there.

Kep4

Jäger
Looking for contraband (head studs) or ???

Did the Rep ask you any questions about the 6.0 and/or for your opinions and experience? Curious I be!:news-n-coffee:

blacksnapon

Staff member
He's a nice enough guy, kind of young. He likes to look, and ask questions about things he doesn't understand fully. He came up, and said "I never have seen one of these with the oil cooler completely removed". So I told him to hang on, and I'd remove it for him.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Ask him when he'll be there next and I'll bring the coffee table down for him to see. :)

blacksnapon

Staff member
Pardon my ignorance, but what does a field service rep do?
He's a ford employee, trained as an engineer. He has a zone that he patrols going to dealerships in the zone, helping with problems that come up with different vehicles. If a tech has a particularly difficult fix, they can request a tech assist, and he'll come and assist you, hands on.

I held a rag over the discharge. It was cleaner than most, but there was still a lot of mud and dirt came out of it.

How many miles were on that one, Vince? I am considering a coolant filter to avoid this -- found one for a 7.3 but not sure if it'll work on a 6.0 (what's different between them?)...

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
How many miles were on that one, Vince? I am considering a coolant filter to avoid this -- found one for a 7.3 but not sure if it'll work on a 6.0 (what's different between them?)...

PM or e-mail Jeff (Beachbumcook). I know he has a coolant filter on the 6.0L in his Excursion.

blacksnapon

Staff member
This one has 59k the one previous was 98k. The coolant filters fit on the shroud, pasenger side, above where the pass cac goes in to the intercooler. One line goes to the top/front degas hose (to the radiator) other tees into the pass side heater hose.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

From the movie... "A Few Good Men"...

You want answers... you want the truth.... can you handle the truth?

Coolant filters are a great mod and I believe should be the first one people add to their trucks. I drive a 2003 Excursion and I added mine at 50,000 miles (better late than never)... and the proof is in the pictures.

The link and site I purchased from is:
http://www.dieselsite.com/

The link for the 6.0L coolant filter is:
(There is a difference between a 7.3L and 6.0L):
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=324

I was so impressed with the pictures I took that showed how well it filtered out the sediment, that dieselsite.com added my pictures (some of the first offered by actual users) to their site. If you call to order, just mention my name, Jeff Cook from DeSoto, KS and that I am the same guy who's pictures they have on their site... and that I am recommending this kit to you.

Here a few pictures.... they are worth every penny you will spend and worth a 1,000 words!!!

Since I do not trust the coolant to go 100,000 miles, I flush mine with 100% distilled water and new Ford Premium Gold coolant every 50,000 miles... and still see what the coolant filtered out (flushing a system is better than nothing, but nowhere as good as a coolant filter working 100% of the time)!!!!!

Good luck,

Attachments

• Bottom of Filter - Opened.JPG
  • Close-up #2.JPG
  • Close-Up Of Filter Media.JPG
  • Close-Up Of Sludge & Sand.JPG
  • Filter & Sand.JPG

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
More pictures of my coolant filter... installed...

Attachments

• Coolant Filter - Splice Into Heater Hose.JPG
  • Coolant Filter - Radiator Mounting.JPG
  • Radiator Mounting - Existing Holes.JPG
  • Coolant Filter - 1.JPG
  • Coolant Filter Ball Valves.JPG

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts