Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering shaft..

Under that sleave looking thing it looks like there could be some sort of self adjustment, not unlike a driveline. I would imagine that would be the way to get rid of the rag joint. Maybe it missed it, but why do you want to get rid of the rag joint?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
They cost allot of money to replace and its just one more thing that can go bad, i'd rather just spend a little extra now and just do away with the rag joint for good.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
My guess would be to stop vibrations in the steering linkadges you dont want your steering wheel to be vibrating in your hands, and you dont want vibrations being sent into your steering gear box either....

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I don't see how it does any thing to help stop vibrations in the system, I think it does more to keep them out of your steering wheel.
Rag joints make for sloppy steering I think if I dump the rag joint and add a Steering Stabilizer it will make for a much better handling truck..

If we called it a vibration insulator would you think different ? ;)

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'm trying to figure out how to make my truck steer like a truck and not a 1940s Mack dump truck..
The question is and i'll ask again
Can I get a solid steering shaft one like this
IMG_0531.jpg

To replace this one
P2140019.jpg

No !

One is for 4x2 and one for 4x4 because the steering boxes are located in different places

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well that sucks..
Ok then how hard is it to change out the steering shaft in my truck?
Do I have to take off the steering wheel and steering column?

TexasNomad, you CAN have a steering shaft like that with u-joints at BOTH ends if you want. Don't let Milllion tell you otherwise. You simply get in touch with the folks at Borgeson and tell them what truck you have (f150, F250, 4x2 or 4x4) and they will fix you right up. I replaced my 1978 F250 4x4 unit (had a lower u-joint on it) with a nice Borgeson shaft that was pictured in one of the previous posts. Now I have u-joints at both ends and should be nice and solid (still restoring the truck).

And NO you won't have to pull the steering column or the steering box, the shafts telescope somewhat to allow replacement (and more importantly when you have a front end collision the steering shaft doesn't impale your chest).

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Tex, what is your setup like? Where is your steering box located? Up next to the column like the one in the pic or lower kinda like mine? I thought 4x2s where up next the column like the pic and in that case you wouldn't be able to use a shaft.....it's too close.

Please explain then.

Because that Non-tilt, 4x2 steering column end will not accept a steering shaft.

That coupler end is all one piece extending into the column

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'm going to dig in to it this week, going to pull the whole bloody thing off and see where the hell all this slop and play is coming from and when I do i'll take some pics :D

Tex my truck steers exactly like yours it sounds like, but mine is a 78 4x4 w/ tilt. My steering box is new and everything appears tight on mine but theres alot of slop in the wheel. I am getting used to it, I can drive it straight especially once you get up over 40mph it handles better. But my mechanic drove it the other day and said he couldnt hardly stay straight. I will be watching this thread for pics because i have considered the borgeson also. Mine does have 4" lift and 35's so i also thought maybe that made it steer kinda sloppy.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
They cost allot of money to replace and its just one more thing that can go bad, i'd rather just spend a little extra now and just do away with the rag joint for good.

So does any one know what the rag joint does? if some model trucks don't have them why can't I do away with mine?

Tex,

You are over thinking this man. The 2WD 79's are not easily replaced with a Borgenson unit, but you do not need a Borgenson unit anyway. The Borgenson units were orignally designed for custom hot rods that had cramped space and odd angle steering shafts. The Borgenson units with the extending shafts were designed for use on lifted vehicles and retrofit steering gears that required varying steering shaft lengths.

"Rag Joints" have been used successfully for many years and are used to reduce vibration, noise, harshness and feedback through the steering column and into the steering wheel. Also a rag joint provides a small degree of flex. Rag joints work perfectly fine in OEM straight steering shaft systems and will last for many years. Remember your truck is 30 years old and now you are looking at replacing a bad rag joint, that is a very good service life for a less than $20 part.

The only benefit to u-joints over rag joints is that u-joints have a larger flex range than rag joints which are needed in complex steering shaft angles and alignments, which are found in some vehicles OEM (look at a Panoz Roadster sometime http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Panoz_Roadster.jpg, they have steering shafts running at odd angles all over the place) and also needed in custom built hot rod applications and lifted (think body lift) 4WD trucks. Borgenson sells rag joints for applications that can use them, as they are reliable and inexpensive. Do to the vibration problems inherent in u-joints Borgeson has developed u-joints with anit-vibration features built in.
www.borgeson.com/VibrationReducers/VIBRATION INDEX.html

Even if Borgenson would build you a custom steering shaft, you just don't need to spend that kind of money for your application. You can get the rubber insert for your rag joint (this is the wear part) for $17.00
www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...rtial&Dx=mode+matchpartial&searchTerm=153-941

Or if you want the complete rag joint (on your application this is only the steering gear half of the joint & new rubber), they are $39.99 from Rock Auto
www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
But don't waste your money on the complete joint just spend the $17 for the rubber insert.

To get the rubber insert out and replaced you should not have to loosen or move the steering column assembly. If you are going to replace the entire joint then you will have to loosen the bolts were the steering column bolts to the firewall and underside of the dash so that you can pull the column up a little bit to get enough room to slide the joint off & on. Also you will have to unhook the shift linkage at the firewall as well. You do not have to remove the steering wheel.

Now after you replace the rag joint rubber if you still have play in the steering, then it is either in the steering shaft assembly from the red arrow in Dennis's picture up to the steering wheel, the steering gear is worn or the front end components are worn (ie ball joints, tie rods etc.)

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Wow thanks Blackhat, that's what I was looking for.
But the steering gear is new, I went and had my steering checked and the guy said every thing was tight all the drag links tie rods he said all the slop is the rag joint and up from there.

Ford Truck Articles